registration numbers blacked out

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

registration numbers blacked out

Post by tailwaters »

I plan on putting my Jon boat up for sale in the next week or so. To get an idea of what I can get for it I looked at what similar boats were selling for on Craig's List. On a couple of the boats the seller had blacked out their registration numbers in the pics. Just curious as to why they did this?

Thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: registration numbers blacked out

Post by silverking »

To prevent theft. If someone wanted it bad enough, they could check public registration records to track down the boat's location. Blocking hull numbers makes it much harder, if not impossible.

I worried about that on the Bayshore because it was such a rare boat. But since I kept it in a remote locked location, I kept the registration shots to a minimum and didn't have any issues.

Some photo software will let you crop or black out details (like revealing shorelines, creeks) or you could use blue painters tape or a sheet of cardboard over the numbers on your jon before you shoot sale pix.

Hope that helps, TW.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I am curious. It takes an act of god and a judge to get information on a title on a boat or trailer without one. How is it that this is an issue unless they know someone dishonest in law enforcement? Of course criminals will be criminals. Better to be safe, but I am surprised, as I see that often.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

All that said.... Post some pics of it and asking price. Cover the reg numbers if you feel the need to. I'm in the market for one.
TurtleCat