Question about shooting guns from boats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Question about shooting guns from boats

Post by silverking »

Just a friendly poke at my buddy JT.

I'm not anti-gun by any means. Own several myself and I have a CWP.

Also know there are several experienced attorneys on this forum, as well as countless savvy anglers. Not talking about duck hunting during season. But in reference to the OP, it always made more sense to me to go directly to the source for a legal question rather than seek opinions on a public forum.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

crappielimits wrote:Legal to carry but not discharge except during legal hunting season or self defense. State waters are considered public places. There are also careless or wreck less laws that discharging a firearm on open water would fall under also.
Sorry, but State waters are not considered public places under the statutes quoted or anywhere else. Now, reckless use and/or endangerment with a firearm is always illegal.

Common sense use of firearms is always advisable.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

crappielimits wrote:Legal to carry but not discharge except during legal hunting season or self defense. State waters are considered public places. There are also careless or wreck less laws that discharging a firearm on open water would fall under also.

No. They are not. Nor is it illegal to use lead shot over water, as you claimed previously...UNLESS you're hunting ducks/waterfowl. You posted a link to a statute, but did you actually read the statute?

Ted, as far as black letter law goes, you have your answer. Now as far as all the other issues you mentioned...the one's you "aren't" asking about...I would consider every single one of them before opting to cruise out past the stake line and blast away. Sound carries a LONG way on water, and regardless of whether they're in the direction you're shooting or not, lots of folks are going to hear it, and some of the more concerned ones will likely request FWC come pay you a visit...which they probably will do, because that's part of their job, and that's not a particularly common activity in that area. If/when that happens, you had better have crossed all your T's and dotted all of your i's, making sure that you're 100% legal/compliant with any applicable regulations. They're already going to be edgy because of the nature of what you're doing, but if you pull the classic "I know my rights" and smart off, they're going to go over your boat and everyone on it with a fine-toothed comb looking for any violation they can find to write you a ticket. Just a word to the wise...if you do decide to give it a go, I wouldn't have any alcohol onboard.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I agree with what RCS says above and would add that the best approach would be to visit the closest FWC office and let them know what and when you plan on your said activities. That way any calls about gun fire would be less stressful for them.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I think you guys are putting way too much thought in this... :smt005
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

In years past you had to get outside the 3 mile state water line. I remember guys shooting at balloons off dania beach. Lots of calls from wealthy condo owners and they couldn't do jack. That part amused me but IMO shooting anything other than bird shot over water is just too dangerous.

Since then the state passed HB45 which made it legal to shoot just about anywhere with a backstop. I remember a guy who made a range in downtown key west.

That being said it may be legal(and IMO it is) but anything other than birdshot doesn't belong shot over water. Shooting skeet off the back of a boat is harmless and fun.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Why would you want to shoot randomly from the boat? Plenty of land ranges in the area or you could probably get permission from a tract owner to plink.

As far as the legality, go directly to the source:

FWC Law Enforcement Carrabelle Field Office
850-697-3764
It's a bad idea. Asking for trouble and saltwater is terrible on firearms. Find a range or go to the national forest.
Last edited by Salty Gator on July 20th, 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't know if it has changed, but my dad and I were target shooting one time in the Apalachicola National Forest. A female ranger came up and told us we weren't allowed to shoot there unless it was during hunting season.

We joined the Tallahassee Rifle and Pistol Club after that, although like any club there's cliques and politics involved there too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Don't know if it has changed, but my dad and I were target shooting one time in the Apalachicola National Forest. A female ranger came up and told us we weren't allowed to shoot there unless it was during hunting season.

We joined the Tallahassee Rifle and Pistol Club after that, although like any club there's cliques and politics involved there too.
Hog, rabbit and a few other have year round seasons
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:Don't know if it has changed, but my dad and I were target shooting one time in the Apalachicola National Forest. A female ranger came up and told us we weren't allowed to shoot there unless it was during hunting season.

National Forest have their own regulations that are unrelated to state regulation, except that most adopt the state hunting seasons of the states they are located in.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
JCC

Post by JCC »

IMO, it is allowed unless it is prohibited. That is why cities, counties, national forests, or any other some such agency prohibits. But if there is no prohibition, it is allowed. I do not know of any prohibition of shooting a gun in/over the ocean. You do not get to shoot ducks because there is some exception allowing it. You get to shoot ducks, during season, because there is no prohibition against it. Fwiw
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The only thing that would be worse than having to listen to the god awful noise an airboat makes, would be having to listen to bubba ripping off a few thousand rounds from his sks :lol:
Angler719

Post by Angler719 »

Salty Gator wrote:

Hog, rabbit and a few other have year round seasons
Only on private land.