Chandeleur Islands

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DAWG FAN

Chandeleur Islands

Post by DAWG FAN »

Looking for opinions on boat trips to Chandeleurs. Southern Sports is out, booked. What other boats have you used and had a great trip, Joka's Wild, Due South, Double Trouble?
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Chandeleur Islands

Post by silverking »

My buddy, marine artist Craig Brumfield, lives in Ocean Springs and recommends True North Chandeleur Charters as a back-up. Says Southern Sports is the best and Joka's also good, but they're often full as well.

Fished with Craig for a tripletail feature in the current issue of Salt Water Sportsman. He knows the players and fisheries well.

Capt. Theophile Bourgeois does day float plane trips to the islands. Working with two planes now with a capacity of up to 8 anglers. Based in Lafitte, LA. I've fished with him a couple times and it's a blast. They also have boat charters for the marsh.
www.neworleansfishing.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Years ago, I fished with some other members of this forum hosted by Capt. Greg Thornton. Very good trip with a great crew. I am not sure if he is still running or not.
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

silverking wrote:My buddy, marine artist Craig Brumfield, lives in Ocean Springs and recommends True North Chandeleur Charters as a back-up. Says Southern Sports is the best and Joka's also good, but they're often full as well.

Fished with Craig for a tripletail feature in the current issue of Salt Water Sportsman. He knows the players and fisheries well.

Capt. Theophile Bourgeois does day float plane trips to the islands. Working with two planes now with a capacity of up to 8 anglers. Based in Lafitte, LA. I've fished with him a couple times and it's a blast. They also have boat charters for the marsh.
http://www.neworleansfishing.com

True North only carries 6 fisherman unfortuanetly, and there are 8 of us. I am familiar with Theophile and want to do that one day but we want to do the mothership trip first. Thanks for the reply.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

Steve Stinson wrote:Years ago, I fished with some other members of this forum hosted by Capt. Greg Thornton. Very good trip with a great crew. I am not sure if he is still running or not.
Greg runs Due South Charters. I am checking with them. Thanks
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

me and several buddies recently fished with captain Dean aboard the Beach water 2 and it was a great trip. dean has lots of knowledge of the islands and his crew is top notch. The food and accommodations were excellent too
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

cleanlivin wrote:me and several buddies recently fished with captain Dean aboard the Beach water 2 and it was a great trip. dean has lots of knowledge of the islands and his crew is top notch. The food and accommodations were excellent too

A buddy just fished w him also (2 weeks ago). Said it was great
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

I did one of these 23 years ago for my bachelor party. Can't remember the name of the boat or the cap but it sure was a way to pass a good time!
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

cleanlivin wrote:me and several buddies recently fished with captain Dean aboard the Beach water 2 and it was a great trip. dean has lots of knowledge of the islands and his crew is top notch. The food and accommodations were excellent too

I will check him out. Thanks
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
Fish Dawg

Post by Fish Dawg »

We are going on the Southern Sports the end of September, can't wait . We booked 2 boats , for 12 guys , a month ago . Everyone who has been says it's a blast . I'll post a report when we return. This is definitely on my bucket list .Praying for nice weather!
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

Fish Dawg wrote:We are going on the Southern Sports the end of September, can't wait . We booked 2 boats , for 12 guys , a month ago . Everyone who has been says it's a blast . I'll post a report when we return. This is definitely on my bucket list .Praying for nice weather!
Southern Sports was my first choice but he was booked thru June of next yr other than 1st 2 weeks of April, which we can not do. Jokas was the same. Finally booked with Double Trouble for May of next year. I knew these boats book up fast but had no idea that they booked a year out. Lots of return clients that book the next year while they are there this year. Looking forward to it. Been wanting to do this trip for years but always had a hard time putting 8-10 guys together. I'll be looking forward to your report.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
CalGarretson

Post by CalGarretson »

I am taking some clients and prospects the last weekend of October. Can't wait for this trip. I ran into the same issue and was lucky to find Southern Way Charters. I will report back how the experience was when we get back, but did have a couple of first hand recommendations that were positive.