Graduation fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Graduation fishing

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

On August the 7th I completed my PhD and finished my research at the University of Ga, what better to do to to celebrate than go fishing, right? So on the 8th my retired fishing buddy Wayne made the trek from north Ga to pick me and the boat up in Wilcox Co. Our destination was Steinhatchee by way of St. Marks, I broke a thermostat spring and needed a replacement from Shields. After a detour to MSI to start the trip off right, we got the motor right and launched from the lighthouse. We fished around Grey Mare and I caught my first post doc trout Image and a big ole sailcat. Apparently since my last serious fishing trip in April I have forgotten how to fish and that was all I caught that afternoon while my partner caught 15 or so short trout and a huge ladyfish. But it was a beautiful afternoon on the water Image.
I did have a moment coming up the channel since the gate closes at 9, I didnt know the gate will open if you pull up to it. We stayed in Tallahassee that night after swinging by whataburger since not much is open around 10 at night. 8/9 found us headed to the hatch and after grabbing an early lunch at Kathis Krab Shack we hit the flats and I proceeded to find my first post doc scallops
while Wayne fished. Grass was too thick, so I decided to move to a different spot to scallop and proceeded to loose a rod in the process. Stopped the boat but no luck in finding it so there is now a daiwa coastal zillion on a st criox rod out in 6ft of water near rocky creek. But I did catch my first post doc keeper, a nice 17in trout Image
but then more bad luck struck when I went to scallop again. When I threw out the anchor the clevis had rusted through and the anchor came loose to be lost at sea even with me diving in to try and find it so scalloping was over. But it was another beautiful day on the water Image. We did end up catching 25+ shorts apiece and a few sail cats so while we only ended up with 2 keepers, it was still a fun day. Its hard to complain when your thumb looks like this
Image.

The fish all seemed to be in 4-5ft of water, deeper water in the 8-10ft range yielded nothing to us. Pink shine gulp and chartreuse tailed gulp was what did the best for us. We rested our heads at Good times and headed back to Ga on the 10th, luckily avoiding loosing anything else.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Graduation fishing

Post by DixieReb »

Glad yall had a good time, too bad about the lost stuff. My Dad lost several rods out there over the years. And we've lost a few anchors, too. I don't know if you know or not, but you can't lip speckled trout like you do bass. One day those 2 upper canine teeth will get you if you lip them. Just gently grab it behind the head, use a towel if you want to. Good luck.
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The lipping was just for pictures, I normally grab them behind the head. The scalloping trip before we lost a cooler, my homemade stickit pin anchor, and the dive flag so I have been on a roll this month.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Sounds like you can start making your Christmas list! lol. :smt005
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Definitely, my wife can make it up to me with a lowrider salt rod, she bought me a lowrider last year for Christmas but it was a freshwater one. I hate the loss of the coastal zillion, those are hard to come by.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats on earning your degree! Sounds like you had fun despite the gear loss. Thanks for the report. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

We always have fun, its a pity since Wayne is friends with me but he is my father in laws best friend and my father in law refuses to fish with us even though he talks about fishing all the time. I've been dying to fish anyway, haven't gotten to fish the flats since May. The gear is replaceable, the time spent is not. I just need to figure out the electrical gremlins on my boat before it cools off.