Need opinions on baitcasting reels

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pirate

Need opinions on baitcasting reels

Post by Pirate »

My son is looking to pick up another saltwater bait casting reel. He has a Shimano Curado and wants to add another high quality reel . Any recommendations?
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Capt Ron

Re: Need opinions on baitcasting reels

Post by Capt Ron »

Get another one just like he has. I have a mix of curados & chronarchs and for the money you can't beat the curados. I've got a couple of 300 series curados that have survived customers using them on tarpon for the last 10 years. The reels I use personally for bass, trout & reds are 200 series curados.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

My choice for the money is the daiwa tatula type r
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

that new 13 fishing reel looks interesting, no ball bearings.
http://www.tackledirect.com/13-fishing- ... gKEevD_BwE
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Shimano has 2 brand new baitcasting lines, the Curado K and the Chronarch G, introduced at this summer's ICAST tackle show. The G was designed specifically for salt water but the Curado can certainly be used in salt also.

Both have the latest design features including Micro gearing, X Ship, Hagane body, CI4+ and cross carbon drags.

The Curado comes in right and left-hand retrieve with six plus one bearings and 11 pounds of max drag. Gear ratio is 6.2:1.

The Chronarch has 8+1 bearings and 10 pounds of drag max. Two models (R/L) with 7.1:1 gear ratio and one with 8.1:1.

I've got a Chronarch coming from Shimano to test but haven't received it yet. It lists for $280 and Curado has a sticker price of $180.

Will give some feedback whenever I get a chance to cast it, but if it's half as good as its predecessors it'll be smooth, slick and feather-lite. :thumbup: I've also owned a couple Curados and had the same experience as Capt. Ron. They're bullet-proof and a great choice.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Thanks guys, He does buy the left handed models so it would be the Curado then, right?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

One leftie Curado and the 151HGG Chronarch is left-hand retrieve also.
http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... rch-g.html

That's what I'm getting. I'm right-handed, but I've always cranked with the left and kept the rod in my power hand.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Same with us. We have always fished that way. Guess we just don't like switching hands. Thanks for the info. Will be looking at them
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

I tried left hand retrieve bait casters 30 years ago and they did not feel right to me. I don't understand why, because I retrieve spinning and fly reels left handed.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Capt Ron wrote:I tried left hand retrieve bait casters 30 years ago and they did not feel right to me. I don't understand why, because I retrieve spinning and fly reels left handed.
You Texans are weird like that. :wink: