Will a surge protector help ?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Will a surge protector help ?

Post by Greenbone »

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If a rv coach was struck by ,or close to, a lighting strick, a surge protector would be no protection . I'm in Savannah Ga and when returned to my coach after a thunder storm ,found it full of smoke and no 110 power . It's now in a rv repair facility and insurance claim pending, no 110 power, no backup camera, dash gauge lights stay on, and floor furnace stays on,unless I pull the 12 volt fuse .
homboyfsu

Re: Will a surge protector help ?

Post by homboyfsu »

Yes and know. If you get a direct hit from lighting (NO GOOD). With all of the electronics today a surge can and will cause circuit cards damage. I have a surge protector on my refrigerator at home. So long story short yes I would recommend on any RV.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Thanks hbfsu
I should and will get a surge protector. It might at least minimize any damage. Just need to get past this hic-up.
In the meantime, vacation extended in Savannah , can't be all bad.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Lightning protectors and surge protectors are different things. I would look into lightning protection.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Not knowing anything about RVs or trailers, can you get a surge protector that goes on/in at the main hookup to plug in power onsite? A hit to RV will result in damage no matter what you have. But some protection at the 110 source should help with nearby strikes. I would put some type of plastic isolation between jacks and the ground for isolation.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Thanks ff and lr
I'll ck into lighting protector but will get the RV surge protector .
Yes, insulators between ground and RV would also help minimize any damage