Rivers being dry.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishdux

Rivers being dry.

Post by fishdux »

I've seen several pictures of the Wakulla and St Marks rivers being almost dry during the storm. We all know that all of the water went to sea but what about the freshwater fish? I know they cant handle the salt do you folks think they went North or is it going to take a while for freshwater fishing to come back in the lower rivers?
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Rivers being dry.

Post by procraftwes »

I was down there @ 7am and it was startling..

There was enough water in the channel for the fish to hide and the current although brisk would probably allow them to keep in the river.

On a side note I accounted for a 9' surge but didn't think about the reverse surge which was lower than 9'.. Ripped out one of my cleats on my trawler :smt011 .
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I personally believe that freshwater fish can swim underground, aka through springs, sinks etc. I can't prove it but there are to many clues. They always come back after droughts, floods, even pollution when polluted areas actually get cleaned up. And they always know what to do and where to go ahead of time. That much has been proven.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

The water never left the Wakulla or St marks rivers competely.

Here's a Pic I took of my boat at the peak of the receeding waters. The channel had water in it and I drove to wakulla @ 98 and it too had water in the channel(was there @630-noon day of storm and 6pm day before).

I'm sure they were affected but the kill off would have happened nearshore with everything stirred up by the waves/reverse surge. For measure my depth in the slip is typically 7-10'.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I've seen St. Marks look that low on a negative winter tide. Still plenty of water in the channel to navigate.
Yours in the South
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

DixieReb wrote:I've seen St. Marks look that low on a negative winter tide. Still plenty of water in the channel to navigate.
Picture might be deceptive but there's a channel but I dont know about navigation.

Brett and Chuck @ Shields said they've never seen anything like it..
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Tallahassee Democrat published a couple shots from Live Oak Island/Shell Point of dry flats. You could see some little rivulets and a few wet depressions but mostly it was exposed mud, sand and grass.

Very unusual phenomenon and one I hope we don't see repeated anytime soon!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

DixieReb wrote:I've seen St. Marks look that low on a negative winter tide. Still plenty of water in the channel to navigate.
I'm not sure if a wintertime neg low and a stiff n wind could push that much water out of there.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven