St Mark's 12-1 A strange way to end the year

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

St Mark's 12-1 A strange way to end the year

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Decided to play hooky from work Friday to squeeze in one last trip for the year, put in at the lighthouse mid morning. Fished the long bar and the flats around the lighthouse with nothing to show for it.

But it was a beautiful day regardless

Found a ton of bait but no fish, so we headed east and went down a couple of miles when I swerved to miss a floating log. The floating log turned out to be a giant alligator a long ways from shore.

Since we were stopped to look at the gator, we started fishing and managed to pick up a sea bass in 10 ft, a lizard fish and a keeper trout in 8ft. Image
We went further into the rock garden and caught a couple of shorts and then went to grey mare. Fishing from grey mare into nearshore was a bust, the couple of reds I found were not cooperating, even after hitting one in the head with a spinnerbait we couldn't get a bite. Luckily we finally found some trout in 4ft and managed to get get our 2 man limit along with a blue runner.

When we were one short we debated on whether to head in or not, after looking at the radar we decided that we would do one more drift. The last drift was one too many and the rain pushed out over the lighthouse so we had a wet ride in.
But it was a fun day with a good meal from the Riverside cafe to cap it off and we made it to Sylvester with 3 miles left to E.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St Mark's 12-1 A strange way to end the year

Post by DixieReb »

Nicely done! :wink: We found trout in 4 ft. over at Aucilla on Thursday, all of them were around structure underwater. The fish you are holding up is a bluefish, blue runners are usually not that big. Glad y'all made it in safe, rain on the water can be scary.
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Yeah I always get them confused, weather was weird that day. Grey mare was cold, water temp was 64, elsewhere was 68ish. Wind was much higher and seas much higher, yet around black rock it was calm and warm. Rain was more of a nusisance than anything, it was only raining near the lighthouse and it wasn't really rough. Now the offshore boat I heard coming in definitely had a ride.
Seferino
Site Sponsor

Post by Seferino »

Dontv stick ur finger in that blue runners mouth! Some real big gators in that St. Marks area. Congrats on the nice catch of trout!
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Seferino wrote:Dontv stick ur finger in that blue runners mouth! Some real big gators in that St. Marks area. Congrats on the nice catch of trout!
Started out at Big Cove the other day in the yak and as entering near the bank there was a gator right in my path that submerged as I approached. Felt good about that, when suddenly a large commotion drew my attention to the grass where a large one went splashing in. Didn't really expect any that near the entrance, but what the heck do i know...watch them blues, they don't call them choppers for nothing. Its a jungle out there!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Blues do have a mean bite! :o
Yours in the South
geofish

Post by geofish »

Went out Sunday with a couple of students who are super-fishermen. Clear water and dolphin on the flats, but just a lizardfish and one trout to be found out there. Moved around a bunch, finally found an oyster bar with some current ripping through it. Final score, 1 keeper redfish, 1 bluefish, assorted ladyfish, catfish, several undersize BSB and redfish and trout, and one black drum. Never did find the keeper trout.
here's a link to fotos on google drive. Can't figure out how to upload fotos on photobucket without spending on upgrade.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gYN3R ... ili8zdNmDf
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LMjA- ... B-dOUVfoDS
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

geofish wrote:Went out Sunday with a couple of students who are super-fishermen. Clear water and dolphin on the flats, but just a lizardfish and one trout to be found out there. Moved around a bunch, finally found an oyster bar with some current ripping through it. Final score, 1 keeper redfish, 1 bluefish, assorted ladyfish, catfish, several undersize BSB and redfish and trout, and one black drum. Never did find the keeper trout.
here's a link to fotos on google drive. Can't figure out how to upload fotos on photobucket without spending on upgrade.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

@geofish it was an awesome day on the water for sure, thanks again! The redfish grilled up real nice :lick: