Off Shore On a Flats Boat

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Off Shore On a Flats Boat

Post by Greenbone »

image.jpeg
Thought I would post this fish'n report since reports have been slim. NOAA had predicted 1-2' seas on Friday . I had checked the seas and wind since early that AM, always showed less 10kts, tree tops were calm as of 9AM so I pulled the trigger. Grabbed some bait at Lanark Market,launched 'ole Greenbone at 10:30 for 13 mile trek to a new hole I was told that held some grouper in 40'. Got to the public # but bottom looked flat,idled a few hundred yards till a long crevice showed up, found some nice rubble and quickly put the anchor lock on. Believe me when I tell you the 1st six drops were 20-23" gags. Then wam--pulled in a nice 25". Next few drops were like the 1st six-all shorts. I tried to work 2 rods hanging one each rod holder but the bite was on, so it was just waste of bait if you didn't man the rod. I baited up a whole sardine ,dropped it down, 5 seconds later, rod was slammed, whoa , dang, fight on- that's when you find that drag was not quite tight enough!!
Visions of grey man in the suit , danged big ole red snapper all danced in my head. Saw the color, Grouper!! Landed a 29 ½ "
Gag came in to the boat. The snapper moved in as usual so I packed up and headed for the hill. Even a flats boat can get lucky off shore once in a while.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Off Shore On a Flats Boat

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice fishes, Greenbone! Glad it was calm enough to go out and get some. :lick:
Yours in the South
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow! Those are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Troutbster

Post by Troutbster »

Greenbone wrote:
image.jpeg
Thought I would post this fish'n report since reports have been slim. NOAA had predicted 1-2' seas on Friday . I had checked the seas and wind since early that AM, always showed less 10kts, tree tops were calm as of 9AM so I pulled the trigger. Grabbed some bait at Lanark Market,launched 'ole Greenbone at 10:30 for 13 mile trek to a new hole I was told that held some grouper in 40'. Got to the public # but bottom looked flat,idled a few hundred yards till a long crevice showed up, found some nice rubble and quickly put the anchor lock on. Believe me when I tell you the 1st six drops were 20-23" gags. Then wam--pulled in a nice 25". Next few drops were like the 1st six-all shorts. I tried to work 2 rods hanging one each rod holder but the bite was on, so it was just waste of bait if you didn't man the rod. I baited up a whole sardine ,dropped it down, 5 seconds later, rod was slammed, whoa , dang, fight on- that's when you find that drag was not quite tight enough!!
Visions of grey man in the suit , danged big ole red snapper all danced in my head. Saw the color, Grouper!! Landed a 29 ½ "
Gag came in to the boat. The snapper moved in as usual so I packed up and headed for the hill. Even a flats boat can get lucky off shore once in a while.
Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Nice! Is that a 21MA?
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

UFB , that's '93 Master Angler 18.5
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Greenbone wrote:UFB , that's '93 Master Angler 18.5
Nice, just saw your post on mbg forum. I have a 99 17MA, new to the area and still learning the weather a bit. I used to run out to 20 miles off Stuart in my 17, but I was a little more familiar with things down there. I'll hAve to keep an eye out for ya.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

UFB , where do you fish out? I fish out of Carrabelle mostly but still hit StMarks occasionally .
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Greenbone wrote:UFB , where do you fish out? I fish out of Carrabelle mostly but still hit StMarks occasionally .
St. Marks currently, been moving further west as of lately. Still learning things, mostly tides around here. Not a big trout guy so I've been working on the cobes, tripletail and reds.