Suwannee , Dec was good , now what?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

relicshunter

Suwannee , Dec was good , now what?

Post by relicshunter »

We got out 5 times in Dec. and did good on every trip. First few had trout, reds and whiting, even an atlantic croker. had to look that one up since I've never caught one before. Last trip was in heavy fog and nothing was biting, the weather had changed enough that the reds were not on the bars any more. We had almost called it a crappy day and left but stopped one more time near a creek that we hit on the way out and the first two fish were reds at 21" and 22". The only fish of the day finished the day out good.
I am not usually a dead of winter fisher but I've got enough hog in the freezer to not bother pushing into small game season, so out to the water I go. This weekend should be crap I would guess. So I'll try again next weekend. I have searched the web to get clues for winter time fishing and not found the depth of info I thought I would.
My main questions are how far into the fresh water do reds, trout, other fish push up? Last year I could find small trout and not much else everyplace I tried. I have a small john boat and hit many small creek launches will little luck. I would bring home big male blue crabs as a consolation prize at least.
Confusing things that I have hit is my map shows black drum spots where the east pass meets the river and that is some fresh tasting water. No success so far with that. Do they really go that high up into the rivers? I've read about jacks being way up the river at yankeetown and that failed to prove out. I hate to chase my tail on some of these things. I have figured out the reds and trout at Suwannee in the fall, just not the winter pattern.
I tried steinhatchee last time out and caught one under size flounder. I asked a couple other boaters and one had enough for a meal and one ran up to dullas creek and did great on trout. I've seen reds in dullas creek just couldn't get them to eat, and all the trout were small. What is deep enough for a creek to be good 5'-6' ? Should I try those little tiny creeks if they have deep spots? I know to look at the deep spots on curves, but what else should I be looking for.
Throw me a bone if you can. Thanks
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Re: Suwannee , Dec was good , now what?

Post by JIm Smith »

check Gainsville sun Garys fishing report for this week. comes out every friday
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

thanks for the reminder, I have read it in the past.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I love this post, genuinely. I’m not a Suwannee Guy, but the fish should be pushed up in holes in the rivers and creeks next weekend. Wish I could be more specific. Watch other boats. Work suspended lures sloooooooooooow.