Slack Tide Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

laxman20

Slack Tide Fishing

Post by laxman20 »

Good morning all!
I was thinking of heading down to the coast this weekend on Saturday, as the weather is finally going to warm a bit. I noticed the tides barely move on Saturday, less than .3 inches in some places between high and low. Does anyone have any pointers to fishing a continuous slack tide? Is it even worth it? Thanks in advance!
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/6116.html
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
tailwaters

Re: Slack Tide Fishing

Post by tailwaters »

You never know unless you go. That being said I do find it more difficult to find fish inshore when the tides are like this. Trout are mainly ambush feeders. Much more than reds are so they will be the hardest to find. Loud top water plugs seam to work the best as it tends to call them. My advise would be to focus on rock piles in 3' to 5'. The reds have a tendency to school up more during these tides as it gives them a better ability to corral baitfish. Points, creek mouths and oyster bays aren't as productive as they would be with a stronger tide flow. The best thing I've found to do is put your trolling motor on a slow speed and work the shore lines. Focus on areas where you see mullet jumping because the reds will be mixed in with them. Topwater works well here too but if you feel like it is spooking the mullet then switch to a gold aqua dream spoon or a weightless plastic twitch bait.
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

Thanks, that's sort of what I was thinking. Thank you for the quick reply!
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Those are pretty bad tides. The only other suggestion I have is to position yourself between oyster bars or something similar that constricts the flow of water and speeds it up some.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FSU Marine Lab temp gauge is working again and it shows 60 degrees this morning, with a rising barometer. Those factors, combined with the slack tides and 'tweener moon, are going to make it challenging out there. If you decide to give it a try you might plan on a later start to give the water a chance to warm.

Or if you have limited opportunities, it may be more prudent to wait to fish another weekend and do some boat maintenance, scouting for turkey season or go watch the Red Hills Horse Trials instead.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

just my uninformed opinion but fishing up through last weekend was pretty good in the creeks and we just had some cold weather move through this week. I've had good outcomes fishing 'small' water under similar conditions. In addition to what has already been said I would suggest finding some creeks/ mud bottom areas and look for those post-front patterns.
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

All,

I didn't end up going. I'd love to hear how it was from anyone who did. I did some boat maintenance instead, replaced some older zincs, installed a new 12v for running my air pump for floats during the summer and removed lots of brown stains from my hull. It was a productive day nonetheless, even though I didn't see the water. Tides looks much more promising next weekend so I'll plan on that instead. Thanks again everyone!
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

SEATROUT CHALLENGE
March 10 Tournament Results.
1st place...James and Asa.....11#10oz
2nd place ...Colby and Evan...11#9.9oz
3rd place....Kenny and Taylor...11#9.3oz
4th place...Les and Levi...10#14oz
5th place...Dean and Jason...9#2oz
6th place...Mike and John...9#1oz

Looked pretty good !! :smt004
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

The tournament went good. I too wass worried the poor tide movement but the fish didn't seem to care because bite was strong all day