great yamaha mechanic saved the day

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

great yamaha mechanic saved the day

Post by geofish »

got to the ramp today, put the boat in the water, turned the key and ..... nothing. Jiggled the throttle, because occasionally the neutral safety switch sticks a little. Still nothing. Started taking the control unit apart until I thought better of it, then jiggled and whacked the throttle a few dozen more times, and still . . . nothing. Finally before pulling the boat out of the water, I thought to call the mechanics at Sunshine boat and motors, who had done such a great job fixing my Yamaha 200 after another local shop failed miserably. Marvin answered the phone, talked me through how to bypass the neutral safety switch with just a quick re-plugging of the brown wires (he knew what color each wire was coming out of the control unit!). Boat fired right up, and my buddy and I had a great day on the water.
Yamaha certified master mechanics -- Pete and Marvin are the real deal! THanks guys!
rockyg

Re: great yamaha mechanic saved the day

Post by rockyg »

I will second that hearty recommendation. Pete and Marvin are my go-to guys for all things marine. They fixed my old Yamaha 25 horse tiller, did wonders with my F115, and installed a GPS for me in the last few years. They also sold and installed a Power Pole on my old boat.

Recently they did all the rigging on my new boat. Marvin did a perfect job of installing twin 7" touch screen GPS units.

I joked with him that it takes guts to drill a hole in a brand new console on a brand new boat and asked if he was nervous about it. He said no I only get nervous when I drill into my own boat. That cracked me up. :lol:

http://www.sunshineboatsandmotors.com/ 850-576-5134
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
CalGarretson

Post by CalGarretson »

I had the same issue with my 90 Yamaha. I currently just have a zip tie holding it down. Is it necessary to even have that switch? If not, can I just cut the switch off and use a wire nut to put those two wires together?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

You don’t have to have it but it’s name has the word safety in it. It is there to stop the motor from cranking while in gear. Now, many years ago, many outboards only had a forward and reverse, no neutral, so they were started in gear. But, I would have it repaired properly if it were my boat.
CalGarretson

Post by CalGarretson »

leonreno wrote:You don’t have to have it but it’s name has the word safety in it. It is there to stop the motor from cranking while in gear. Now, many years ago, many outboards only had a forward and reverse, no neutral, so they were started in gear. But, I would have it repaired properly if it were my boat.
I should have said and it could be just my Key West, but it is a redundant safety feature. There is also one in the throttle.