Prescription Sunglasses

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Prescription Sunglasses

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Thinking about a pair of prescription sunglasses. Who and what are your thoughts on brands and color lens for offshore? Costa is a popular brand but the customer service and warranty sucks according to the reviews I read. Smith looks like a good company to do business with. Who in the Tally PC area will be the best dealer to deal with? Thanks for your help
EddieJoe

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Post by EddieJoe »

Tide-Dancer wrote:Thinking about a pair of prescription sunglasses. Who and what are your thoughts on brands and color lens for offshore? Costa is a popular brand but the customer service and warranty sucks according to the reviews I read. Smith looks like a good company to do business with. Who in the Tally PC area will be the best dealer to deal with? Thanks for your help
Hey, Chuck
I bought a pair of prescription Costa 580 p progressive sunglasses a couple of years ago. The price was really ridiculous, I think $750 +when quoted. I declined the offer, and the dealer owner sold them to me for the price paid for my previous pair, which was about five bills. Both prices are absurd, sort of like dumb and dumber. These glasses are the equivalent of Yeti coolers. Over rated, over priced, decent performance, but not even close to value for the money.

After a few years the nose pieces are falling off and the dealer will send them back to costa for repair, but it takes weeks. I’m not sending them and will live for now with roughspots on the frame. Last pair of these I will buy. For the price, the service should be stellar. It isn’t, and that is an understatement.

I recommend something else.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

:thumbup:
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

FYI, these are HSA eligible. So if you have one, and some extra funds sitting in the account, that may be an option.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I got disgusted with Costa's too and purchased a pair of Smith Optics a few years ago. I do not recommend their poly lenses. They do not hold up as well as glass.

The Sunglass Authority store up off Bannerman just West of Thomasville Rd. will give discounts to NFGFC members. They have been a guest speaker at our meetings before. The red headed guy in there knows his products very well and will let you try several of them on, walking outside with each one so you have an idea what you are getting.

- Steve Stinson
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Steve Stinson wrote:I do not recommend their poly lenses. They do not hold up as well as glass.

- Steve Stinson
was this a reference to Smith or Costa?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

AugustusMccrae wrote:FYI, these are HSA eligible. So if you have one, and some extra funds sitting in the account, that may be an option.
Man that’s good to know. I turned 40 a few years back and have recently started wearing reading glasses. Do you know If bifocals are covered in the hsa?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

AugustusMccrae wrote:
Steve Stinson wrote:I do not recommend their poly lenses. They do not hold up as well as glass.

- Steve Stinson
was this a reference to Smith or Costa?
I was referring to the Smith's. Mine scratched up pretty easily.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Salty Gator wrote:
AugustusMccrae wrote:FYI, these are HSA eligible. So if you have one, and some extra funds sitting in the account, that may be an option.
Man that’s good to know. I turned 40 a few years back and have recently started wearing reading glasses. Do you know If bifocals are covered in the hsa?
Please check behind me, but if it is prescribed by a Dr., it should be covered.
EddieJoe

Prescription Sunglasses

Post by EddieJoe »

FWIW, I like the blue mirror 580 for offshore, which is actually a gray lens color. I have used them for sight fishing the LA marsh and they worked well there, too.

The lenses themselves have held up and still are near perfect. The frames? No. And I am super careful with them.

The price? Ridiculous. Same thing now is between seven and eight bills, progressive bifocal. That’s nuts, IMO. As I previously wrote, kind of like Yeti coolers.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Hey thanks for the information on the sunglasses. Looks like the Smith glass lens will be what i am looking for.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MY DAUGHTER IS HANDLEING SEVERAL DIFFERENT BRANDS NOW, HERE OFFICE IS BAKER EYECARE CENTER OVER IN MACCLENNY, FLA RIGHT OFF US. 90 DOWN TOWN. SHE WILL MAKE YA A GOOD DEAL IF YOU ARE IN THAT AREA.
PA FUTCH
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

IRS basically allows HSA distributions for deductible medical expenses, here are the IRS descriptions for deductible vision stuff:

Contact Lenses
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for contact lenses needed for medical reasons. You can also include the cost of equipment and materials required for using contact lenses, such as saline solution and enzyme cleaner. See Eyeglasses and Eye Surgery, later.
Eye Exam
You can include in medical expenses the amount you pay for eye examinations.
Eyeglasses
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for eyeglasses and contact lenses needed for medical rea-sons. See Contact Lenses, earlier, for more information.

Source document https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

and a little easier "list" that is general internet info http://www.hsacenter.com/what-is-an-hsa ... -expenses/

My understanding of "for medical reasons" means you are not buying the for cosmetic issues like you have blue eyes and you want brown eyes. If a Dr. has to write a Rx for it that generally means it is medically related unless otherwise excluded. As usual the old saying "Everything is deductible until they audit you" is probably true here as well.

Not a tax expert but I've had a HSA for a long time...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150