Trailer Assist

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Williamsdad

Trailer Assist

Post by Williamsdad »

If you ever need to call Boat U.S., or any other trailer assist, tell them do not call Gorilla Towing ("they don't monkey around"). Not sure where they came from (maybe Midway), but it took them 3 hours to find Capital Circle near Orange at 5:30 am Saturday (stuck in traffic?, really, took the wrong exit, etc.)

When the kid showed up, he had a jack that didn't work, and got 2 lug nuts stuck in the socket that I had to get out, after he failed to take advice. About half way through, he was throwing his tools back in the truck and anywhere else he could throw them.

Finally used our jack. If we had a power lug wrench, wouldn't have had to call, but the salt water does do a number on the lugs. On top of it, he didn't have a tow truck, so we would have been stuck longer if we needed a tow.

Parkway Towing trucks passed us 3 times as we waited, but could only help if Boat U.S. called them.

On a positive note, we did eventually get fishing in my boat (discovered both tires on the Mitzi were real bad), and caught a few trout on the higher tide than what we planned to fish.

And many thanks to all those who stopped, called, or texted offering to help. Actually a pretty convenient and busy place to break down if it has to happen.
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Trailer Assist

Post by zload »

Glad you got it resolved and still had time to fish.

I know it is a questionable practice but after changing a few tires on the side of the road/interstate I changed my lug nuts to an acorn type stainless steel nut that leaves no threads exposed and added anti-seize to the studs to help in removal and maybe help seal out some of the saltwater. I check the lug nuts pretty regularly and have not noticed them getting loose due to the anti-seize but it is at least a possibility so proceed with caution. I also keep a "trailer" tool box in the tow vehicle with a Gorilla lug wrench and associated sockets, small hydraulic jack and a small 1x8 section of board cause you never have a stable jack surface when you need it. I even have a folding jack stand for safety, tire plug kit, flashlight and 12v "trouble light" etc. all in a large orange Plano style box.

I once changed the tire on my buddies trailer alongside the FL turnpike near Yee Haw Junction in about 15 minutes, he said we looked like a NASCAR pit crew on it :-D We sweated all the way to I-95 as the other tire had a bubble in it and we didn't have another spare. He bought 3 new tires the minute we found a tire store.

It seems that 1 - 2 hours is a normal response time from tow companies in rural areas so I try to be self-sufficient when I can so I can be on my way ASAP.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry to hear about your trouble and the substandard service, but glad you got it fixed and still caught some fish!

ZLoad has got all the bases covered. Sounds like he learned the hard way, as many of us have. Another way to ensure you won't have a hub issue is to buy a spare and keep it in the tow vehicle. Good insurance in case bearings do go out.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Keep a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep penetrating spray in your tool box. While it's entirely possible that the lug nuts will seize too much, this is the absolute best penetrating oil I have found. Could just make the difference. Advance will often run sales on Sea Foam products, sometime BOGO if I remember correct.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

zload wrote:
I know it is a questionable practice but after changing a few tires on the side of the road/interstate I changed my lug nuts to an acorn type stainless steel nut that leaves no threads exposed and added anti-seize to the studs to help in removal and maybe help seal out some of the saltwater.
Where did you get S/S closed acorn lug nuts? I have looked , but was unable to find them. Also S/S lug studs are hard to find. Do you have any experience with them?
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

fishinfool wrote:
zload wrote:
I know it is a questionable practice but after changing a few tires on the side of the road/interstate I changed my lug nuts to an acorn type stainless steel nut that leaves no threads exposed and added anti-seize to the studs to help in removal and maybe help seal out some of the saltwater.
Where did you get S/S closed acorn lug nuts? I have looked , but was unable to find them. Also S/S lug studs are hard to find. Do you have any experience with them?
Not exactly the same lug nuts I bought but same vendor on Amazon and they look similar, note they are solid SS not capped.

https://www.amazon.com/eCustomRim-SOLID ... 57N2TJB5K9

Google found these:
https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Stainl ... p_517.html

Also saw some ss lug nuts listed by Gorilla on Anazon but didn’t read the details.

You can also find them on eBay

I didn’t change out the studs or even look for studs.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150