Scallop season only a month away. .

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scallop season only a month away. .

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I know die hard fishermen can’t stand the scallop crowds. But scalloping is a great family activity. Image. Image. Image. Image. Image. Image. Image. Get those kids out there and make lifelong memories. Cause as mine is going into the Airforce they will be gone before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Scallop season only a month away. .

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. Image. Image. Image. Image best way I can think of to “pick up dinner “.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Scallop season is huge for some of the local costal economies. The areas that get them thick boom during the season, like hitting the business lottery. Y’all come on down and spend those Georgia dollars down here and pump the local business full of cash, enjoy and be safe. I really don’t mind the traffic, we’re always on the water way before the scallopers show up and pull out before y’all normally do. Plenty of ramp for everyone. I hope they are close, fat and plentiful for y’all this year :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

It’s the only time of year I don’t have to beg wife to get on the boat. She loves to swim.

relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Well, I am excited. I get out at least once every 10 days or so during the season. Fish a little before or after based on the low tide time. I am very worried about the population health, and I don't like the spend out season opening times. I think they concentrate more people on the early sections instead of allowing the crowds to be spread out over the whole area.
I've seen quite a change in the sea grass beds in the last three-four years. They are almost always silted over. The grass can't get sun light if it has a layer of slit on top of it. I think it is due to the increase in the number of boats crowded into each good area. The constant disturbance of the sand by all the props. I fear a collapse in the number is due soon and I don't feel it's being managed correctly. Cross my fingers it's a good year.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Hopefully they will be good all over not just one area.

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Where are you seeing grass beds silted over?
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

We fished south of Steinhatchee this past Saturday and saw some scallops swimming around!!
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

The beds in Keaton used to be beautiful, with many types of neat algae in the mix also. Last two years they have been covered with silt all the way down past hagen's cove. Heavy layer of slit, and much less variety of neat stuff to look at. Also saw lots of slit in many places in steinhatchee, and south of rocky creek. We didn't hit crystal river or Bayport the last two years so I don't know how they looked.
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

I saw a few on the western edge of the scallop grounds at St. Marks. Also, saw a 6' tiger shark :o
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I must be the only one who thinks Scallop Season is just a pita. The boat ramp goes from bad to ridiculous. It seems to bring out the biggest, loudest, slowest to load or unload groups of the year. The workaround is to launch at daylight and be back around noon. At the height of the season, the floating grass just East of the Lighthouse is so bad I can only run a couple hundred yards in my Gheenoe before I have to clear the prop. The grass that gets torn loose by all those boat anchors creates a heck of a mess. :smt011

But......they say I'm grouchy even when it's not Scallop season....or Tarpon season or.... ;-)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:I must be the only one who thinks Scallop Season is just a pita. The boat ramp goes from bad to ridiculous. It seems to bring out the biggest, loudest, slowest to load or unload groups of the year. The workaround is to launch at daylight and be back around noon. At the height of the season, the floating grass just East of the Lighthouse is so bad I can only run a couple hundred yards in my Gheenoe before I have to clear the prop. The grass that gets torn loose by all those boat anchors creates a heck of a mess. :smt011

But......they say I'm grouchy even when it's not Scallop season....or Tarpon season or.... ;-)
It does seem there is always one boat( you know the one) that hasn’t been cranked since last scallop season and he will clog the ramp forever blasting ether in the carbs trying to get it cranked. Then when they do they usually need a tow in because they ran out of ether and couldn’t get it to crank on the flats. Sea tow member?, Ha, I don’t think so. But it good for the family and for local economies. We just have to work around it or stay home
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I usually during scallop season have to jump someone off at the ramp. And back at least one trailer for someone. Lol

relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

No you are not the only one that thinks it a pita!
Way to many boats, crammed into every ramp near by, the damage to the grasses and the stressed out fish.
If they reduced the total boat take, it may shorten the time people are out there. That may make it easier for FWC to notice and catch the ones that double dip ( take their haul in and come back for more).
I real enjoy scalloping so I deal with it.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. Image. Image. Image. Image. Image.