Fishing Report New Smyrna Beach Mosquito Lagoon

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CaptMikeSavedow

Fishing Report New Smyrna Beach Mosquito Lagoon

Post by CaptMikeSavedow »

Water temperatures are finally back to normal for April after a back and forth winter / spring pattern with cold January, warm February, and back to cold March. Fish patterns were confused with an early start to the coastal migrations, then the cold March halted the spring movements, to continue again during April. Good news so far on water quality in my area, clear to normal water conditions with continuing help by our close location to Ponce Inlet and daily tidal influx of sea water. As well as schooling near coastal fish moving in to the Intracoastal Waterway being the Indian River here at New Smyrna Beach, Edgewater, and the north Mosquito Lagoon. We had a good Black Drum season all through the winter and spring with back water fish of 5 lbs down to little ones, they were along the channels and sloughs as well in in holes. Shrimp being my usual daily natural bait, which the Drum are happy to eat. On my mixed bag variety backcountry trips we also usually catch many different species on every trip, which can include Seatrout, Redfish, Snook, Drum, Sheepshead, Whiting, Bluefish, Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish, and always some surprise catches. Young Parker was the winner of big fish on a trip with his family and  friends.....................…

Repeat client Dr Leonard from Canada did a couple fly fishing trips with me, catching a bunch of Trout and Ladyfish, including a 23" Speckled Trout on a "Savedow Special" fly which I tie, on a sink tip fly line for fishing the drop offs and channels in the back country......................

For a break, tossing a few shrimp on light tackle spin, in between fly casting, Dr. L caught some of the other usual species too, Jacks, Blues and a nice Snook out of some Mangrove Roots...............…

First time client Cameron from Tennessee out on an afternoon trip also caught a good Black Drum………………….

A group of friends from Salt Lake City came out on a spring time afternoon trip and Gabby got big fish with a nice Black Drum……………..

Another repeat client, Gerry from Kentucky came with his family again this year, out on a fun backcountry trip, including some good Seatrout……………..

Caleb was all smiles with his Black Drum on light tackle after a good battle…………….

Spring is always full of many good Jack Crevalle for rod bending fun, Greyson out again with family and friends on another trip with me…………………..

Capt. Michael Savedow
Edgewater River Guide, Inc. Since 2003
386-689-3781
http://EdgewaterRiverGuide.com
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing Report New Smyrna Beach Mosquito Lagoon

Post by Salty Gator »

Welcome aboard, thanks for the reports
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

welcome ,fished over there from 2003 till 2010 good fishing
we also did shrimping at night with my wife ,
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I guess this is one way to get the word out.... not really a report for our area, or even remotely close. but nice to see some pics.

I was born in Mims/raised first part of my life there... OG home waters for me...

No Redfish pics? Hopefully you provide more content than a copy/pasted phpBB text wall that you're doing from forum to forum.

/salty :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:I guess this is one way to get the word out.... not really a report for our area, or even remotely close. but nice to see some pics.

I was born in Mims/raised first part of my life there... OG home waters for me...

No Redfish pics? Hopefully you provide more content than a copy/pasted phpBB text wall that you're doing from forum to forum.

/salty :lol: :lol:
Dang Chris, that’s not like you. You are a little salty today :lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Is there a good charter for snook?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Juan wrote:Is there a good charter for snook?
I’ll take you to the Aucilla River. :-D
CaptMikeSavedow

Post by CaptMikeSavedow »

Thanks for the replies guys, Juan , we only have limited Snook here, north end of their range, also had a bit of a snook kill with our freeze event this January. Blue Spinner, have had a good shrimp run late this spring, was very hit and miss early in the season, with the loss of much of our seagrass beds the shrimp runs may continue to be more hit and miss going forward. Chris, as a Brevard native, am sure you've heard of the issues with Brevard, Indian River , Mosquito Lagoon waters, loss of grass and algae blooms at times, my area here at north Mosquito Lagoon and New Smyrna backwaters is very close to Ponce Inlet with daily tidal water movement keeping our water quality good the last few years. Thanks, Mike