Favorite Rods and Reels At Various Price Points?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Favorite Rods and Reels At Various Price Points?

Post by big bend gyrene »

CRAZY busy year of outdoor AND chair-force work and still haven't found time to get Marine's Dream wet... so with that said, have rather enjoyed the few recent threads on equipment.

Thought I'd start a thread that let's folks speak to their favorite rods / reels at VARIOUS defined price points. So without further ado, for anyone willing to play list favorite rods AND / OR reels at the following price points:

$50

$100

$200

$300

Unlimited price - looking to burn money :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Re: Favorite Rods and Reels At Various Price Points?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Here's my .02 for whatever it may or may not be worth

≈ $50 - love Ugly Stik big water series rods, though what I find online today look a bit different than ones I bought few years back and still use. Strong enough to haul big fish in but with enough flex to keep it fun while fighting the fish. Use med / heavy spinning for cobes and casting for hauling big bass out of thick lily pad cover.

≈ $100 - Shimano Symetre reel, though have read they discontinued for 2018 to push Nasci and Ultegra models. As for rods, really like Shimano teramars.

≈ $200 - Shimano baitrunner

≈ $300 - Shimano thunnus. Love them. If I weren't a tightwad by nature I'd buy a couple of more.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Williamsdad

Re: Favorite Rods and 4eels At Various Price Points?

Post by Williamsdad »

Pfleuger President combo, all we ever use, thanks Luc!

Even for the big boys in LA.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

For a little over a hundred bucks, you can get a new Daiwa black gold. I don’t think you can get a reel close to the same quality for that price. Also a big fan of thunnus, have 2, may put one on my ( soon to be built) new southern custom tarpon rod. I’m also a fan of the shimano trevalla line of jigging rods from $110-160. I have 5 in different sizes, from a light snappper set up to an xx heavy that I use for bottom fishing. Good rod for the money.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Already commented on the best spinning reel thread but have a couple additions here:

$100+ Tsunami Shield reel and Carbon Shield rod for less than $120 each. Heavier than some but good action and solid water-resistant integrity. The St. Croix Mojo Inshore are less than $130 depending on model and have great action and split cork butts.

$200: Loomis E6X Inshore. Full range of action and power in spin and bait casting rods for less than two bills.

$300+: Unfortunately discontinued and hard to find, the St. Croix Legend Inshore are my favorite rods. Super sensitive, light and Kigan guides that shed braid wind knots. Have fished some of the next generation rods but they're just not the same.

Fly: Haven't christened either yet but found an Orvis large arbor Battenkill 6-wt fly reel, brand new, on eBay for $150 and matched it with a Loomis Shorestalker rod for $200. Looking forward to tossing some bugs at trout/reds soon.

$ No Object: Tibor Signature series fly reels. The Everglades is perfect for the flats and is one of those heritage items you'll pass on to your kids. The Riptide is ideal for cobia and permit while the Gulfstream will whip any big shiner out there.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

$50
- Ummm, UglyStick? I guess my TigerLite Jigging Stick aka Snapper Slapper... Got it for around 59$ from Crums years ago. XXHeavy.

$100
- Falcon. 100% Their inshore and BuCoo series are just incredible in this price range.

$200
- BullBayRods Assault and Stealth Sniper Rods. Sensitive, ton of backbone, light, and great warranty

- YOUR MOM
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Old school chrome spool 4/0 senator is still the go to bottom fishing reel. 7 ft. heavy star rod with the stainless guides. I dont go without my Trevalla spinning rod med. heavy with a bait runner either. All have worked very well.
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

FishWithChris wrote:
$50
- Ummm, UglyStick? I guess my TigerLite Jigging Stick aka Snapper Slapper... Got it for around 59$ from Crums years ago. XXHeavy.

$100
- Falcon. 100% Their inshore and BuCoo series are just incredible in this price range.

$200
- BullBayRods Assault and Stealth Sniper Rods. Sensitive, ton of backbone, light, and great warranty

- YOUR MOM
Seconding Falcon. I have a 7'6" spinner and a 8' casting rod and they are AWESOME.

50$
Shimano Sedona

100$
Penn Battle II

I don't own anything more expensive than that outside of an international 965 baitcaster.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I second the $50 Shimano Sedona, and in general get a kick out of using the cheapest tackle that gets the job done. My biggest largemouth bass - 10.3lbs - succumbed to a crappy Zebco 808 spincast reel. Of course, it helped that the business end of that 20lb test rig was a really agitated half-pound golden shiner.

That said, I'm learning that cheapo saltwater reels mostly let you down when the drag quickly goes from smooth to not so smooth, resulting in redfish snapoffs. Again, Shimano and Okuma reels seem to hold up best at low price points.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

≈ $50 Penn Fierce / Berkley Inshore Rod

≈ $100 Penn Battle II / St Croix Mojo Inshore

≈ $200 Penn Clash / St Croix Avid Series (Anything above this and you're getting minimal gains for your money IMO)

≈ $300 Wouldn't know

Yes, I'm a Penn and St Croix fanboy :lol:
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
craSSh

Post by craSSh »

I really like my Stradic ci4's. Super lightweight and great drags. I have them on G Loomis and Star rods
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

silverking wrote:Already commented on the best spinning reel thread but have a couple additions here:

$100+ Tsunami Shield reel and Carbon Shield rod for less than $120 each. Heavier than some but good action and solid water-resistant integrity. The St. Croix Mojo Inshore are less than $130 depending on model and have great action and split cork butts.

$200: Loomis E6X Inshore. Full range of action and power in spin and bait casting rods for less than two bills.

$300+: Unfortunately discontinued and hard to find, the St. Croix Legend Inshore are my favorite rods. Super sensitive, light and Kigan guides that shed braid wind knots. Have fished some of the next generation rods but they're just not the same.

Fly: Haven't christened either yet but found an Orvis large arbor Battenkill 6-wt fly reel, brand new, on eBay for $150 and matched it with a Loomis Shorestalker rod for $200. Looking forward to tossing some bugs at trout/reds soon.

$ No Object: Tibor Signature series fly reels. The Everglades is perfect for the flats and is one of those heritage items you'll pass on to your kids. The Riptide is ideal for cobia and permit while the Gulfstream will whip any big shiner out there.
Second on the Tsunami rig at $100, I have a few.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

≈ $50
- Sedona /13 fishing reels and some sort of lew's rod. not a fan of lews but they have a lot to offer in that price range

≈ $100
- Sedona /13 fishing reels i'm gonna have to agree, even tho I only use one brand I will say the falcon line up is a DECENT rod for the money, but I've seen the construction on the Cara series at that (even have a picture) and it put a bad taste in my mouth.

≈ $200
- Sedona /13 fishing reels and the options are endless here. in this price range you should be able to get an awesome rod. paying more than 200-240 you're not paying for a brand. there's no reason for those Nrx loomis rods should be 500-650 dollars. I would go custom at this price range of 200, but if you need a label company rod. I'd go with Phenix rods

≈ Unlimited price - looking to burn money :wink:
- I'll just over charge my rods and let you pair it with a stella or Van staal
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

If you are looking for a good combo in the $150 range I would suggest the Tsunami Arma 3000 paired with a Tsunami Air Wave Coastal Series rod. It’s a handsome combo, I’ve been using it as my pinfish rig for the last couple of months and have caught many >20 inch trout along with occasional shark, Mac and Big sailcat. Very smooth retrieve and drag and that’s considering my gear is lucky if it gets sprayed off after a trip. It’s really worth a look at that price point, I have been pleasantly surprised. Now I’m going to attempt to post a picture, wish me luck.
Attachments
81A7E9B4-0883-40A4-BFA1-223EE211E662.jpeg
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

I just put an 8' falcon Coastal on my bait caster :D That oughta reach out and touch someone

Mods: if that image is breaking the board table, please let me know and I'll link it. I sometimes forget that this machine is running 3840x2960 resolution