Pinfish trap

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Pinfish trap

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Had a good one and lost it. Now the last two I’ve bought don’t catch a thing. Someone point me in the right direction.
cleanlivin

Re: Pinfish trap

Post by cleanlivin »

Call Mutt ( aka Cast net king ) you can get his number from Jr at aucilla store Mutt will make u one that works great
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

I need a good pinfish trap in Port St Joe?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

cleanlivin wrote:Call Mutt ( aka Cast net king ) you can get his number from Jr at aucilla store Mutt will make u one that works great
That’s just the info I was looking for, thanks. These last couple store bought ones have been garbage.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

http://catchlivebait.com/

Hands down the best trap I've ever used. I bought the offshore model. I put a zip tie across the openings to adjust the size of bait for inshore use.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Sun Daze wrote:http://catchlivebait.com/

Hands down the best trap I've ever used. I bought the offshore model. I put a zip tie across the openings to adjust the size of bait for inshore use.

Ditto. I have two offshore models. Zip tied the openings to keep the larger pinfish and rock bass out. They work phenomenally.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Boone123

Post by Boone123 »

While we are talking about pinkish traps, what is the best way to keep them from getting lost or stolen? I put two this year and went missing within 3 hours both times. The first one I think I put in too much current and it was swept away with the tide. The second was out of a strong current and I thought was hidden pretty good. It was gone in two hours.
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

Zip-Tie a piece of 5/8 rebar to each side on the inside of the bottom of the trap. Use 2.5 length of floating cord and a bouy. put a 4 ounce lead about 5 feet from the bouy.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

boon123,

If you figure that out, let me know. I've not had a trap stolen yet, but I've had bait stolen numerous times. The best way I know of is to throw them with a small (or no) float.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Do you think I'd have success with one in the bay at SGI? Could I wade and drop it? And what would be a good bait? Thank you
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

AugustusMccrae wrote:Do you think I'd have success with one in the bay at SGI? Could I wade and drop it? And what would be a good bait? Thank you
Yes
Yes
Cut fish (lady or cleaned fish backbone are what I use). Lots of folks use a can of cat food too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Boone123 wrote:While we are talking about pinkish traps, what is the best way to keep them from getting lost or stolen? I put two this year and went missing within 3 hours both times. The first one I think I put in too much current and it was swept away with the tide. The second was out of a strong current and I thought was hidden pretty good. It was gone in two hours.

http://neptunemarineproducts.com/galvan ... -releases/

Don't know why this would not work. And at 1.20 for a 24 hour timer, that should work just fine.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Picked up two of Mutt’s own this morning at JRs.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

onefishtwofish wrote:
http://neptunemarineproducts.com/galvan ... -releases/

Don't know why this would not work. And at 1.20 for a 24 hour timer, that should work just fine.
I’ve often wondered about them. Anyone have any experience using them?
The Back Porch