Culvert full of giant Shellcrackers, Bass and Mullet

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Culvert full of giant Shellcrackers, Bass and Mullet

Post by BloodyChamp »

Ok not really...but kind of. I have a new truck which I'm in no hurry to rag out so most of my flood stage fishing spots are off limits. I do have 1 nice little culvert that I bet a few of you could guess the location of that I caught 5 Stumpknockers out of and several 10 inch bass. Bass out of places like that always get a rise out of me even though I've seen it happen many times, but I couldn't believe what I saw swim through the 2 feet ray of sunlight in the black water - mullet lol! That means that I've now seen mullet, and giant Bass and Shellcrackers in this single culvert at 1 time or another.

The giant Bass and Shellcrackers were several years ago and it was a few feet clearer where I could see the little red things on the Shellcrackers lol! I almost stepped on a gator that wasn't a giant or anything but big enough to mess me up when I tried to get through the grass to fish that day so I never caught 1. Today the grass was so thick I pull over and fished out of the back of the truck. It worked pretty good lol! If I could have caught 1 of those mullet from there of all places though, I would have had a fit lol!
eightwt

Re: Culvert full of giant Shellcrackers, Bass and Mullet

Post by eightwt »

Nice. Always neat to see fish in unlikely places, not so much for the toothy one...
BloodyChamp

Re: Culvert full of giant Shellcrackers, Bass and Mullet

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went to Welaunee Creek today thinking that atleast the mudholes on the way there would be dried up which they were. The creek and river looked great, the best I've seen in a long time. The Wacissa has struggled over the years but today it looked great. It will usually dry up 2 dang days after a flood. But when I got out there I was sabatoged by something that has sabatoged me twice before - mosquitoes. I can tolerate a pretty big amount of mosquitoes, yellowflies etc but these mosquitoes were so thick that I could barely breathe lol! The 2 other times this happened was during late season flooding so I'll have to just remember that from now on. I caught 2 bream and had to bail.

My backup plan was the same culvert as last week but it had dried up so much that the fish bolted. I went on down to the end of the road to check out the other river before I headed to the Pinhook Sinks and a guy gave me 4 Trout including 1 giant that I just grilled for my Uncle and it was yummyyyyyy!!!!!!! He said he had to go out insanely far to find clear water and that they bit good then just shut off and couldn't catch his 5th fish. I'm being vague in case that guy doesn't want me to say where we were but you could figure it out you read close lol!

Afternoon showers are 1 thing but as long as it doesn't monsoon for another week the fishing will get interesting fast imo. I can't wait til next weekend.