STAR Update, June 12

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

STAR Update, June 12

Post by silverking »

FLORIDA ANGLERS CONTINUE TO MISS OUT ON THEIR SHARE OF $500,000 IN FISHING COMPETITION
Third and fourth CCA Florida STAR tagged redfish caught in north Florida and the Panhandle since event launch, with two more unregistered anglers ineligible for their share of $500,000 in prizes.

Orlando, FL – June 11, 2018 – A third and fourth unregistered angler caught a tagged redfish in CCA Florida STAR , presented by Yamaha and the organization still doesn’t have a confirmed winner. To be eligible for a new truck or boat, motor and trailer package, anglers must be CCA Florida members and registered for the 2018 STAR event. The unregistered anglers caught a 22” redfish (FL171) in Mayport, Jacksonville on June 7 and a 21” redfish (FL504) at West Tyndall Bridge, Panama City, June 9, both were ineligible for their choice of a prize in the division, which includes a new Conley Buick GMC Sierra Pickup or one of several Yamaha-powered boat packages including a Contender 22 Sport, a Pathfinder 2200 TRS, a Hewes Redfisher 16, a Carolina Skiff 21 Ultra and a Cottonmouth Aluminum Bay/Flats boat.

“With five STAR Tagged Redfish caught, four since the event launch, it is clear the fish are out there and anglers are catching them,” said Leiza Fitzgerald, CCA Florida STAR Director. “Every angler who catches one never thought it would happen to them.”

“Although I was disappointed in not knowing about CCA Florida STAR, nor winning, I have now registered because I learned STAR supports a great organization and I could still win in one of the other divisions,” stated the Jacksonville angler.

With 17 divisions and 11 species included in the event, and most winners determined by random drawing, anglers of all ages and skill levels have opportunities to win. Registration is $40 for current CCA Florida members, or $75 for non-members, which includes CCA Florida membership. Kids ages 6-17 can register for free with their current ($10) CCA Florida youth membership.

All entries must be photographed with the official 2018 CCA Florida Measuring Device, which is now available free of charge at various locations throughout the state, including all Florida West Marine stores, the preferred distribution location. For a full listing of measuring device locations, visit ccaflstar.com.

For more information on STAR, or to register, visit the Facebook page or ccaflstar.com.

###

The Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) was founded in 1977 after drastic commercial overfishing along the Texas coast decimated redfish and speckled trout populations. One of 19 state chapters, CCA Florida became the fifth state chapter in 1985. A 501(c)3 non-profit, the purpose of CCA is to advise and educate the public on conservation of marine resources. Through habitat restoration projects, water quality initiatives and fisheries advocacy, CCA Florida works with its over 18,000 members including recreational anglers and outdoor enthusiasts to conserve and enhance marine resources and coastal environments. Join the conversation on Facebook or learn more at ccaflorida.org.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Re: STAR Update, June 12

Post by TomParis »

And with the latest catch the Pathfinder is gone. Alexander claimed it officially.

If I catch a tagged redfish now I am going for the Hewes!

Good luck everyone!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

TomParis wrote:And with the latest catch the Pathfinder is gone. Alexander claimed it officially.

If I catch a tagged redfish now I am going for the Hewes!

Good luck everyone!
If you do the math you would pick the Contender 22, work with a Contender dealer to sell your boat before you take delivery from CCA, use the proceeds to pay your income tax on the value of the prize, then buy what you want with the remainder. The guy who picked the Contender last year did that and used the cash to buy a new house for his family. The Contender with a standard T-Top and 250 Yamaha is by far the most valuable of the available prizes.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I have 42 catches so far. Mostly going out every weekday morning after running 5 miles with my Maclay School cross-country team. Aiming for 100 catches, but I may not make it due to heat exhaustion or Old Fart Weakness Syndrome. Summer wadefishing is a b#tch.
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

If I remember correctly you won the Pathfinder last year.

Well to be honest the hewes is not a family friendly boat like the Pathfinder, but a new Redfish fishing machine like the Hewes would be a cool boat to have!

You are probably right though, I would probably sell the prize and use the cash to buy something affordable = P
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I did win last year and I had already made up my mind that the Pathfinder was the boat for me. Winning a "free" boat is far (very far) from free and without the generosity of my Dad I would not have been able to keep and properly outfit the new boat.

Looking back the smart financial move is select the highest value prize, have the dealer sell it as new, calculate and pay the income tax, then use the balance to buy a truly paid for boat that suits your style of fishing.

That being said I could not be happier with the boat. It's a dream come true and I have a huge grin on my face every time I step on board. Sadly my Dad passed in January and the only trip we made together on the Pathfinder was me spreading some of his ashes in his favourite Trout fishing hole. I smile every time I pass that spot and remember a lifetime of good times.
― John Dutton
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

I am sorry for your loss, but what a memory you and that boat have now together and I am sure one day (long from now) the boat will get passed down to your son.

If you fish the flats and have more than 2 people in your family the Pathfinder is the best choice imo as well. I was so happy for you last year when I heard you won and I have tried since talking to you on this forum last year to use the same lure you used.

I love fishing and love being out on the water, perhaps one day I will run into you at the ramp and be able to meet you Rocky. Tight lines!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Thank you Tom. I will be rooting for you to catch a tagged Red on that Skitterwalk this summer.

The Hewes Redfisher is a fantastic fishing machine. I had a couple of very similar flats skiffs (Action Craft) that I fished out of around here for right at 20 years. That Redfisher has the speed, range, and ride to handle just about any inshore fishing you want to do in Florida. We caught Bonefish in the keys, Snook in SW Fl, more Trout and Reds than I can count in those boats. We even did some wintertime close in Grouper trolling out of St. Marks.

It can happen to you.......get out there and go fishing. :thumbup:
― John Dutton
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

I am trying Rocky, and thanks for the encouragement!

I have several of the Rapala lures you recommended, the key is getting on the fish, I know the lures work.

I saw on here several people have had good luck close to Stony Bayou, so I will try that area next.
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

Didnt catch anything on Saturday, on my way back in via the St Marks river, I thought I saw Rocky in his new Pathfinder pass me.
1976 Seacraft 20' MA