Newbie to fly fishing

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BillytheKid

Newbie to fly fishing

Post by BillytheKid »

I'm looking into trying some inshore fly fishing for reds/trout. I am completely new to fly fishing and was wanting some opinions rod/line weights etc... I was thinking of something between 6-8wt??? Any and all input would be appreciated.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie to fly fishing

Post by silverking »

Well, it depends on two factors--wind and weight or bulk of your flies. If it's calm and you're throwing Bendbacks, Seaducers or light Clouser minnows, you can get by with a 6- or 7-weight rod. In a typical summer afternoon sea breeze or you're tossing heavy, bulky flies like crab patterns, Puglisi minnows, spoon flies or Dahlberg Divers, you'll want to bump up to an 8. Weight-forward floating line is probably the easiest to pick up and cast and works well for most of the flats. I'm a fan of Scientific Anglers line. Rio and Wulff have good reviews too. 20-pound backing is all you need for trout and reds.

You didn't mention budget. Cabelas/BPS has some decent starter combos. If you want to spend a little more, look into Orvis or Lamson reels and Redington or St. Croix rods. If you're really ready to dive in, then go with a Tibor Everglades reel and Loomis NRX rod. Just hide the receipts from the wife. :wink:

There are several other dedicated buggy-whippers on here like Terrier, eightwt and Gulf Coast who might chime in with their suggestions.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Honestly a 6-7 wt will handle any trout you hook and all but the biggest reds. They are not so hot in the wind though or if throwing big heavy flies. 8 wt will land most anything short of a shark and throws in the wind better. I hardly ever throw my Loomis 8wt now that I got a new 7wt Fenglass, thing casts like a dream.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Really looking to keep it cheap until I get a feel for it and decide if it’s something I wanna persue further. I have someone with a 6 and a 7wt rod, pfleuger 495-1/2 reel with 6 and 7wt lines for $50. I’m not looking for top of the line, just something to try out on the cheap. Is this a decent deal or should I pass?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, that's a good deal. Pflueger will work well for a starter and you can always keep it for a backup if you decide to upgrade. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I will pick it up and see what bass pro has in the way of flies.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Make sure to check out the crew at Cape Harbor Fly Shop on the north side of Tallahassee on Thomasville Road - they are mostly focused on Fly Fishing (and general outdoors).

Also, we have another local store here in North Florida (but mostly an online presence) called Wilkonson Fly Shop, a father & son team located out of Havana. I spoke briefly with them at the BBSWC and seem like great guys; very knowledgeable.

The best thing I can say is to get on Instagram and start following a bunch of fly guys (and gals) and start watching their videos, review their posts, etc... a wealth of knowledge out there and most engage fairly quickly! A recent favourite is @239Flies from South Florida/Ft Myers area. Great content and owns the shop.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Kevin's has a good selection of flies.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I will look into these as well. I have a lot of practice time in the yard coming up this weekend it looks like.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

I use 6,8, and 9. Don't have a 7 yet, but really would use one once obtained. For me the weight of the rod has more to do with wind and fly size than fish size. Most of the fish you'll hook can be landed with a 6 a-ok, but there is always the exception when fishing the salt. Never know what might be around and willing to play. Some good instruction on casting is very helpful and will shorten the learning curve. Its great sport but beware it can be the proverbial "rabbit hole". There will be some fly tying classes at Tally senior center, if interested, but they will be during the afternoon to start. Instructors from Big Bend Fly Fishers.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

7wt is better for for blind casting light flies but an 8wt is better for bulky flies like a gartside gurgler or big clouser, and if the wind is up. I normally bring 3 rods out in the kayak - either 2 7wts and an 8wt or vice versa. A 6wt can be all you need if the wind is down, but I wouldn't start with that. If just one, start with an 8wt. The TFO Signature 2 is a good starter rod. For flies, can't go wrong with clousers but start with light clousers (beadhead, 5/32, 3/16) - if you mistime your backcast or the wind plays with it, a heavy clouser between the shoulder blades is like a pistol shot. Topwater flies can be alot of fun, espcially a gartside gurgler or a popper.
willfishforfood

Post by willfishforfood »

If you haven't picked up a fly rod yet, I would recommend ebay to start with. You can pick up a rod for cheap. You can pick up a nice starter rod for pennies on the dime. If you search blair wiggins fly rod, you can pick up one of those new for less than $20. They were going for $200 a couple years back. also if you keep a look out, you can find reels cheap as well. If you decide to get into tying later you can get your materials reasonable on there as well or by flies for now
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I ended up picking up the used setup and a couple of top water lures. I need a LOT more practice, but am not as horrible as I first was. I have yet to catch anything on it, but the wind had been a factor a lot of times that I have been out also.
willfishforfood

Post by willfishforfood »

You may try one of the practice fly rods they have on the market. That helped me the most getting the timing down and correcting my motion. Also, try looking up how to double haul cast on youtube and will help you manage the wind MUCH easier. It takes a bit to get the timing down, but will help in the long run for distance and windy conditions. I'm fairly new into the fly fishing game myself, but the best way I can explain it is that it's like golf for me. It will humble you and frustrate you at times to the point you want to sell every last piece of gear and hate the day you started, but then everything comes together for that one shot, and it makes you want to take out a second mortgage to get more and better gear :lol: Good luck and post a picture when you get your first one!
Vibe_Yaker

Post by Vibe_Yaker »

I’m new to fly fishing too. I took the 101 class in San Destin from Orvis. But now I need suggestions of places to go. I usually fish Shell Point bars. I’d love to hook up with other kayak/fly fishers. Please, not asking for your spots, just in the heat of July, do I go up the creeks in Levy Bay, Alligator harbor oyster bars, or deeper water channels off Shell Point?