Lighthouse ramp

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Officialcsmith

Lighthouse ramp

Post by Officialcsmith »

Pretty new to the whole boating world, so trying to get a little info. I have been using the search as much as I could ahead of time so it didn’t seem like I was just shooting out questions that have been answered a million times already.

First, I’m wanting to put in at the st.marks lighthouse tomorrow and was wondering if I should worry putting my 17ft Triumph in near the early low tide (+1.6). I’ve read up on the bump at the bottom of the ramp and was wondering if that would be a concern.

Second, where is the “local sandbar” where people go to hangout? Heard something like 4 miles south of a certain marker?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for any replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geofish

Re: Lighthouse ramp

Post by geofish »

I put in there quite often with a 21 foot Wahoo. At the lowest of low tides (negative) I can have a little trouble with the ramp itself, but usually that's not a problem. It's more often a problem that you're going to suck up some mud or sand when you get to the mouth of the canal coming out of the boat ramp into the river unless you raise your motor a bit or pole your way across. At super low tides I've even seen deep draft boats get stuck in the canal. Usually it's only 10-15 feet of super-shallow at the mouth, and then you're good if you stay wide of the oyster bar. Pay attention to the sunken boat (there's a marker) out beyond the end of the oyster bar (cool pictures on Google satellite caught it at low tide last month.
Anyway, welcome, and good luck!
George
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Your boat should have no issues.
Do watch the channel markers carefully. Don't lose a lower unit on an oyster bar.
The sandbar is about 4 miles south from the lighthouse, just follow the channel markers and look for the 50 other boats all anchored together.

Have fun!
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Can’t add much to good responses. I’ll just mention, the bump at the bottom of the ramp is more of a small curb so your tires don’t roll off the ramp. It shouldn’t be an issue w 1.7’ as long as the wind isn’t blowing a bunch of water out ( wind will probably be blowing water in the canal). Good luck, enjoy
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven