St. Marks, 9/8

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FTReelty

St. Marks, 9/8

Post by FTReelty »

Been itching to go, so in spite of no good reports, fresh water, hot water etc....took off early Saturday morning with my 12 year old son-he wanted to see the sun come up over the lighthouse. We did and headed east to start in deep water 9-11 feet. Fished with new penny gulp and white/chartruse tail on the bottom. had 2 nice trout in boat by 8:15. Also had some Purdy shrimp, but mainly caught cats with them. Bite shut off, so we moved more to the east and fished several different areas-6-8 feet, water stained and about 90 degrees. Headed back to 1st stop at 11:00 and quickly put 4 more keepers in boat. several shorts, not many trash fish. Decided to head in at 1:00 and make it back to watch the Dogs play. Ended up with 6 nice trout and a great day on the water.....should get better from here. Headed down the Wacissa next Saturday with a bunch of Boys Scouts!
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks, 9/8

Post by procraftwes »

FTReelty wrote:Been itching to go, so in spite of no good reports, fresh water, hot water etc....took off early Saturday morning with my 12 year old son-he wanted to see the sun come up over the lighthouse. We did and headed east to start in deep water 9-11 feet. Fished with new penny gulp and white/chartruse tail on the bottom. had 2 nice trout in boat by 8:15. Also had some Purdy shrimp, but mainly caught cats with them. Bite shut off, so we moved more to the east and fished several different areas-6-8 feet, water stained and about 90 degrees. Headed back to 1st stop at 11:00 and quickly put 4 more keepers in boat. several shorts, not many trash fish. Decided to head in at 1:00 and make it back to watch the Dogs play. Ended up with 6 nice trout and a great day on the water.....should get better from here. Headed down the Wacissa next Saturday with a bunch of Boys Scouts!

Nice I went out with my big boat on Friday and stopped off outside the mouth of the river. Saw a Gar and caught a big sailcat on my first cast.. Not much after so I decided to just go cruise.

When I go with the Big boat I don't expect to do well fishing the flats but it only drafts 3' so why not while the fish are deeper... Didn't feel like launching the fishing dinghy but looking forward to trying it out in the shallows(9' with a 3.5hp).

A 20,000lb boat probably gives the fish a good spook.
fishfalcon

Re: St. Marks, 9/8

Post by fishfalcon »

Well done. I should have gone with you. We fished the Shell Point area Saturday and it was really tough. Water was dirty with a lot of floating grass and it was windier and rougher than predicted. Saw no birds and no bait. Caught some finger mullet in the castnet which we converted into 2 sharks and a big sailcat in 4 hours. I caught one 17" trout on the twitchbait. Run off by a thunderstorm at lunchtime.