Dumb Question about Sabiki Rigs

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Dumb Question about Sabiki Rigs

Post by John21:6 »

I typically use a size 8 hook when using a sabiki rig for pinfish. If I use a smaller hook, will I catch smaller pinfish or will I end up with regular-size pinfish and swallowed hooks?
Last edited by John21:6 on September 5th, 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishWithChris

Re: Dumb Question about Sabiki Rigs

Post by FishWithChris »

size 6 or size 8. 99% of the time I'm using size 6. A piece of gulp about the size of a pencil eraser (or smaller) just past the barb around the gape along the shank.

Why do you want to go to a smaller size?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

FishWithChris wrote:size 6 or size 8. 99% of the time I'm using size 6. A piece of gulp about the size of a pencil eraser (or smaller) just past the barb around the gape along the shank.

Why do you want to go to a smaller size?
I was thinking that I might downsize the hook size in order to catch smaller live baits to attach to light jig heads.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I typically use the smallest sabiki hooks I can buy and put small pieces of gulp on them. I also try and buy the sabikis without the small beads above the hook. Size will depend on if japanese or American sizes. I believe size 3 or 4 in Japanese size. You will have more break offs and swallowed hooks but it does allow you to catch smaller baits.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I go really small. Size 12-14
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I use size 4 or 6 and fluorocarbon is a must but I'm catching sardines and cigar minnows. :roll:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Does anybody else keep getting that Sabiki rig looking thing with the red flourocarbon on their FB? It comes up a sponsored post, Wish App, and it won't link to the site only the App and I can't download it because my phone's on it's way out. But anyway that thing looks AWESOME lol!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

BloodyChamp wrote:Does anybody else keep getting that Sabiki rig looking thing with the red flourocarbon on their FB? It comes up a sponsored post, Wish App, and it won't link to the site only the App and I can't download it because my phone's on it's way out. But anyway that thing looks AWESOME lol!
Looks like some kind of spammy e-commerce shopping site. Found this:

https://www.wish.com/search/sabiki%20ri ... modal=true

Just basic Japanese style sabiki rigs.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I typically go smaller, size 12. I prefer to spray the Sabiki with Gulp Shrimp Attractant rather than cutting pieces of Gulp to put on the hooks.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

jsaunders wrote:I typically go smaller, size 12. I prefer to spray the Sabiki with Gulp Shrimp Attractant rather than cutting pieces of Gulp to put on the hooks.
That’s a good idea, do you feel like it works as well? ( I guess you wouldn’t do it if you didn’t)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Salty Gator wrote:
jsaunders wrote:I typically go smaller, size 12. I prefer to spray the Sabiki with Gulp Shrimp Attractant rather than cutting pieces of Gulp to put on the hooks.
That’s a good idea, do you feel like it works as well? ( I guess you wouldn’t do it if you didn’t)
I've only used it the past three trips (after getting frustrated with dried out gulp on my sabiki hooks). It seems to put the pinfish in the boat just as well. I apply it liberally and let it 'soak in' for 30 seconds or so before tossing it out. It still stinks a few hours later, so I would guess it would still attract bait.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks