Florida Sportsman article about the red tide epidemic

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luckywsp

Florida Sportsman article about the red tide epidemic

Post by luckywsp »

Interesting read about what happens when environmental laws are gutted and how it has affected the fishing in middle and south Florida.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/08 ... the-water/
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Florida Sportsman article about the red tide epidemic

Post by procraftwes »

Make America great again!

:pop_1
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Reads more like an opinion piece than anything science based
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Reads more like an opinion piece than anything science based
Yep, its not a study, its an agenda. Really sad how some buy into this type of crap.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:
Yep, its not a study, its an agenda. Really sad how some buy into this type of crap.
No one said it was a study
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

MudDucker wrote:
Instead of just dismissing the article as "an agenda or opinion piece" why don't you enlighten us as to what information in it is false and likewise, what information is true. Otherwise some people (like myself) might get the impression your comments are soley based on your fondness of deregulation, Gov Scott and his administration.

As a Florida native I want to know what caused this issue, how to fix it and what we can do to prevent from presisting. If the facts of How and What contadict with my current views then so be it.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

This FB page has a lot of posters from the areas hardest hit by redtide. A lot of sad photos/videos of the effects of redtide.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wetnetmulletfishing//
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Did y’all read the article? It’s not even about red tide. The blue green algae may fix nitrogen which could make conditions favorable for k brevis, but no one is sure it contributes. The blue green algae is another (worse) problem altogether
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I was going to post that earlier but the day got busy. X2, The article is not about red tide! It mentions red tide four times and it's unneeded each time.
Blue green is probably solvable if they get their crap together.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Blaming agriculture for the folly of subdivisions is ignorant, contrary to some peoples belief I did read the article, it doesn't change the fact that sugarcane farms south of the lake didn't cause the algea blooms nor do they pump much water back up into the lake. 42% of the outflow from lake o flows south, 2% of the water entering lake o is from southern flood control. 95% of the nutrient load entering the lake is from the north, fertilizer runoff from pastures etc in the north only contribute 3% of the nutrient load. The majority of the nutrient load actually comes from the two urban districts north of the lake, especially from areas with septic systems instead of sewer systems. The addition of a second reservoir south of the lake would help and diverting more flow to the Everglades would be beneficial. But the reservoir needs to be deep to keep water temperatures lower to keep the cyanobacteria from having high populations. The bacteria aren't fixing enough nitrogen to affect the red tide because of denitrification and limitations of the anaerobic processes required, nitrogen present in the lake water may have an effect, but its more than likely due to the damage done last year by Irma, red tide formation occurs too far offshore to be caused by nutrient loads, loop current in the gulf is largely the determinant factor. If people really want to fix this then BMP s would have to be enforced on the northern municipalities, which most likely won't happen regardless of who is governor.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

tailwaters wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
Instead of just dismissing the article as "an agenda or opinion piece" why don't you enlighten us as to what information in it is false and likewise, what information is true. Otherwise some people (like myself) might get the impression your comments are soley based on your fondness of deregulation, Gov Scott and his administration.

As a Florida native I want to know what caused this issue, how to fix it and what we can do to prevent from presisting. If the facts of How and What contadict with my current views then so be it.
A resident of Sarasota that is a friend of mine spoke with officials down there and they said that the problem was as much from lawn chemicals as from anything from Lake Okeechobee. Sugar Plantations have reduced their pollution by a substantial amount.

However, this problem has little or nothing to do with State regulation, it has to do with Corp of Engineer ... the feds ... having made such sweeping changes to water movement many years ago. As anyone who keeps up knows. the feds are working on restoring the water flow, but the scheduled work is shown to take a decade or more.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!