beware of Craigslist

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

beware of Craigslist

Post by ertauber »

I posted my boat for sale on Craigslist and within a few hours I got two responses. Both were very enticing but obviously smelled bad. Each one said they loved the pics of my boat and would send a cashiers check and have a moving company pick up the boat. Sound too good to be true. Yes.
Then a few days later I got a text from an interested buyer and after a few exchanges the buyer wanted to buy but wanted to see the boat operate in the water. Sounded reasonable. I met him at a launch ramp. As he was walking toward the boat I could see he was carrying a few fishing rods. I asked what he was thinking and his response was " well since we are going to be on the water I thought we could catch a few fish" I walked away and left him standing there.
I never thought selling a good, well equip boat would be so frustrating.

So if this your situation, be ware.
relicshunter

Re: beware of Craigslist

Post by relicshunter »

There are more scammer then good people out there these days. Many find it easier to be scum then to work for what you get. I would have had a hard time not laughing hysterically as I walked away. It's possible even that he got someone else to take him by telling tales of being left at the dock.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have not had much success selling through Craigs List, for the reasons you mentioned. Too many scammers and tire kickers.

Much better luck dealing with the good folks on here. Florida Sportsman, Pensacola Fishing Forum and The Hull Truth are some other reputable sales outlets. Boat Trader was the most expensive and only generated a couple leads when I was selling my Bayshore.

If you're getting another boat through a dealer, you may check with them about a trade-in. GLWS.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

My personal experience with craigslist has been positive, but it has been mostly as a buyer not a seller in the past. With that said I personally have better luck buying and selling on facebook at present.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Sorry you had a bad experience with selling on Craigslist. As already said, at times there seem to be as many scammers on CL as there are legitimate buyers and sellers. You have to sort through the rip rap and scams. I've bought and sold a lot of items on Craigslist and have to say 99% of the transactions were great and went smoothly. I still check CL listings at least once a day even when I don't have anything listed. I have to say I learned the hard way when selling an item not to agree to meet someone at a designated location.. they may or may not show up. My strangest experience was when selling my bass boat a couple months ago and a guy from Alaska called and said he wanted it and would send me a cashier's check... long story short.. he was legit and bought the boat sight unseen.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

my approach to CL is cash only, call only, no email, no texts.
850-273-8818
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I bought my boat on eBay. It was exactly what I was looking for and I called the guy and talked a bit before I made the bid. Also did the same with my 78 Bronco. I figured if I got there and it was a POS, the worst they could do is give me a bad review. It is not like there is an eBay jail or anything.

A builder I use was just telling me about a scam. Offered him 50 more than he was asking for some chimney pipe. Said his mover would be there to pick it up. Then wrote a check for 1500 more than the amount and asked him to pay the mover the 1500. He said not a chance and told him forget it. Scumbags everywhere.

My dad got a call that his grandson was in jail for DUI and needed to be bailed out. He thought he was talking about my son, which is the only grandson he has that DOES NOT DRINK! lol. He finally figured it out by calling me, although the "lawyer" said don't call his parents. He actually got the law involved and they got up with the guy. Tons of excuses, but at least the cop read him the riot act.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
firefish

Post by firefish »

If you use Facebook place it on Market place or have someone list it for you. I have had zero issues to this point selling on there. Good Luck!