Air Compressor lines for shop?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Air Compressor lines for shop?

Post by Steve Stinson »

Anybody have any experience running air compressor lines in your garage or shop? I am seeing a lot of information on line about not using pvc pipe for this purpose.
I have a compressor in the front part of my shop and need to get the air supply to the back (40' x 40' shop). I don't want to move my compressor to the back because we use it frequently to fill up whichever tire happens to be going flat at the time. The kits I see on line for this purpose cost a minimum of about $200, so it would actually be cheaper for me to buy a smaller second compressor than the piping kit.

The air supply I need in the rear of the shop is just to run an airbrush (painting top-secret fishing lures). :-D

Thanks in advance for any insight. - Steve Stinson
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Air Compressor lines for shop?

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

My farm shop and home shop are both ran with PVC, it should be fine as long as its protected from UV light.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

PVC works fine, my only suggestion is to use schedule 40 and not the thin wall and to secure it in place. I have three compressors that have been hooked up with it for over 15 years.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

One of the auto shops I worked in used PVC for the shop air without any failures. I believe it was schedule 80 which is rated at 243psi, while schedule 40 is rated at 166psi. It might be worth the few extra dollars for peace of mind and durability.
If you are running pipe over a long distance(more than 20-30 feet), you might want to go with a larger diameter pipe. Probably 2" or more, this will help with stabilizing air pressure and volume in the system. If you are using any air tools like an impact gun or die grinder, they can deplete the compressed air supply rapidly, causing anything down stream to lose usable pressure.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Thanks guys. Looks like I will try the pvc approach first.
edif

Post by edif »

Make sure you use a piece of at least 300 psi hose from the compressor to the pvc bout 18 inches the vibration is what causes the pvc to fail . Experience talking.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I would use schedule 80. Just make sure you clean and primer the joints and you will be good to go.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Will do on both. Can you buy sch 80 pvc at Lowes or do I need to go to a commercial supplier?

Thanks for all the help. - Steve
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

I use PEK with crimp fittings
I think that is how it is spelled
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »