Somebody stole my trail camera!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Somebody stole my trail camera!

Post by BloodyChamp »

PUNKS! I asked a friend of mine who rides his golfcart down the nearby dirtroad if he'd seen anybody in my place and he said no, and that he has a camera I can use until I get another one. Before I could say sure he also said that he wanted to go fishing, something we haven't gotten to do together much over the years since we were younguns. I had to work all night plus the extra hour because of the time change and the last thing I wanted to do was peel myself out of the bed and go Speck fishing on the Aucilla the following morning (the Speck fishing end of the Aucilla being a borderline death trap even when you're awake lol). But he'd gave me his camera without my even asking so...

And man am I glad we went. We slayed them and the bass and even a few bream who felt like chasing lures. Yes lures! No live bait! No boat either! We got lucky and loaded a bucket off the bank of the Aucilla with no live bait!

And we found some very important illumination. See, we set out visit a creek (thinking the water was still high) that we understood emptied into 1 of the bigger but hidden openings on the upper Aucilla. By upper I mean way above even Highway 90, and possibly above Sneads Smokehouse. It's always been confusing because it's 1 of the few places left phones (Google Maps) just won't work.

The creek wasn't dry but it wasn't holding any fish that's for sure, so we went towards Howell Sinks and before we got there we found a pretty good sized hole that I'd never knew about, and I consider myself pretty dang smart about the Aucilla. There wasn't a worm cup, a cigg butt or anything like you find at any decent fishing spot let alone a gold mine like this one. We got a bite almost every throw and they didn't quit before we left.

So about that camera...worth it lol
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Somebody stole my trail camera!

Post by Salty Gator »

Great find. That’s what boots on the ground will do. Congratulations
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

More power to you if you can catch bass out of Sneads Smokehouse Lake. My son and I went there and had to shovel the mudfish out of the way to get a lure through them. :thumbup:
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Spring and summer time can be tough with the Mudfish but if you absolutely want to catch bass there to say you have, keep it on the edges and just reel it back in if a bass doesn't hit it right away. Then in the winter time you could do what we did. I've almost never been Speck fishing in the winter without catching a bass or 10. The Mudfish aren't as crazy and the other fish are bunched up in the warm water.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Naw it was an older one so no big deal. I've since bought another cheapo so that if it goes missing that proves somebody is looking for stuff to nab. At that point I'll be out 40 measly dollars and the next 1 will be a cellular camera with a GPS. I think they just snuck in to grab a few pecans because this is a small pecan grove, saw the camera, took it and destroyed it.

In a turn of events that I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking is slam made up, today I went to another spot that is completely off the grid. It's 1 of those places that the management area owns but keeps locked up and never mows, makes firelines or anything. I'd tromped in usually once a year when I wanted Specks for sure. I've posted about it before including the last time a couple years ago when I left so mad I could choke somebody. I'm going to tell that story again to get to the point.

Some local Ewell from To Kill a Mockingbird level "people" had been in there and caught hundreds with minnows. When they quit biting they busted out the castnets. I used to run around with the one who is my age until he literally tried to steal my bucket of fish 1 day along with my paddle which he didn't jist try to steal because he succeeded on that one. I messaged the management area about it and they told me they would check it out. Today I found that they put some more posts up and redid the cable some time in the last 2 years and that they...gasp...mowed it recently lol! So I thought I was in for a nice walk to the fishing hole. I get down there and there is this mfers canoe...that means he's now paddling to this spot from upriver at the the landing I showed him USING MY PADDLE THAT I RECLAIMED TODAY 5 YEARS LATER LOL!!!!!!!!!! I should have bashed his canoe in. And there was a homeless guy somewhere in the middle of all this...yep...camped out in the management area.

That all happened today which means in a bizarre, ironic turn of events I had something stolen from me then reclaimed something that was stolen from me 5 years ago, all while fishing in between lol! O and the most important part...caught 1 huge Redbreast and lost a couple more. The leaves were so thick on the water that bankfishing with lures was hardly doable. When I managed to get it out there though I got results but that cut things short. The snake I almost stepped on didn't help to much either.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Made my annual trip down to the spot I mentioned 2nd in this thread, not the first 1 which I won’t go back to without my pal. There was more water in the river than I thought there would be and it was muddy by January standards. I guess you could have caught some Specks with minnow in the middle with a boat but maybe not even that as there wasn’t a minnow, a strike, a squirrel, a bird, a lizard, or anything else out there. It was dead quiet. It was obviously the cold front so no big deal but I don’t think I’ve ever been without atleast seeing a bug lol!