Local Boat Ramp Status?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Local Boat Ramp Status?

Post by silverking »

Thanks Captain. I'll update the original post.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There's still a barricade across the road to the Fort ramp in St. Marks. The floating docks are back in position, although not secured to the pilings. There was one vehicle and trailer when I went by this am, but nothing this afternoon. Maybe that was a boat assessing repairs? Seems like the U-shackles that hold the floating docks in position to the pilings could be unbolted, placed around the pilings and then bolted back to the docks. Maybe a manpower or money issue, not sure.

Regardless, Shields Marina is open and so is the Lighthouse ramp.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I don't think the AP Marina ramp is usable. I went by yesterday and looked at it. There's a lot of sand pushed up the ramp and it looks like some of the rocks guarding either side may have been pushed onto the ramp underwater. A smaller boat may be able to put in there but I opted against trying to put my 25' boat in. Instead, I took it around to Rock Landing, dropped it in and ran it around to AP.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks Vitz. I just changed the status on the AP Marina ramp to reflect the current situation.

Also just spoke with the City of St. Marks this morning (11/9). Bids are going out next week to repair the floating docks/pier pilings. The project is expected to take up to two months, so maybe by the end of the year? The ramp remains officially closed until then.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

silverking wrote:There's still a barricade across the road to the Fort ramp in St. Marks. The floating docks are back in position, although not secured to the pilings. There was one vehicle and trailer when I went by this am, but nothing this afternoon. Maybe that was a boat assessing repairs? Seems like the U-shackles that hold the floating docks in position to the pilings could be unbolted, placed around the pilings and then bolted back to the docks. Maybe a manpower or money issue, not sure.

Regardless, Shields Marina is open and so is the Lighthouse ramp.
Where exactly is the road barricaded? I was hoping to go down there this weekend to take some pictures. Is it just outside of the parking lot somewhere, or farther up the road somewhere? Thanks!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The barricade is a couple blocks from the ramp, off the main road by the yacht club. You could park and walk down.

Saw Brett Shields this afternoon and told him what the city said about repairs. He said he could take a sump pump, jet the pavilion pilings back in, use the excavator to straighten the others and re-bolt the collars to the dock. Take a couple days.

Now there's the difference between a private business and a government operation, even for a town the size of St. Marks. Maybe Brett should submit a bid. :lol:
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Thanks for keeping us updated SK. You da man
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Access to the St Marks Fort boat ramp area parking lot has OPENED back up.

However, the RAMP is still CLOSED - and will remain closed for sometime still so the rumors say... unfortunate.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I rode the river the day after the hurricane and the fort ramps didn't seem that damaged. It appeared that the floating docks had risen high enough to come off of the guide pilings, then floated back down as the water receded leaving the aluminum ramps in a bind. Who is in charge of getting it fixed and would it help if they had some volunteer labor??

- Steve Stinson
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Never mind - I just read Dave's email above about the bids.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've fished the last few times out of the Lanark Boat Club ramp. The ramp is usable although it doesn't seem like the club has made much progress in repairs lately. Maybe they are waiting on an insurance settlement to buy materials?

The ramp itself is now clear of debris. The Gulf-side floating dock is in place. The access ramp still missing though. Parts of the seawall need repair as well. The Hwy 98 docks are in place and you can access them via the stairs by the fish-cleaning station. There's still some mud/limbs in the NE corner and a half-sunk Coke machine tied to the middle dock in one of the slips. Maybe they'll use the opportunity of repairs to do a little dredging in the boat basin and channel; permits would likely be required for that. But overall, this ramp is functional. You must be a member of the Boat Club to use it, however. Pretty sure Carson at Lanark Mart can sell memberships and annual passes or you can order on-line through the club.