Adding Sponsons question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Adding Sponsons question

Post by Redbelly »

Is there any reason welding new aluminum sponsons on a '03 aluminum hull shouldn't be done?
Does the age of the metal affect anything?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Adding Sponsons question

Post by Steve Stinson »

It's different metal touching together that causes the corrosion in saltwater. In that case, you will be dealing with three different types - the hull, the sponson, and the weld. If your sponson's were purchased from the same company that made your hull then you may be okay. I would contact them if they are still in business. If not, you need to talk to a aluminum welder that does a lot of marine work and get their opinion.

- Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

So Steve you are saying the alloy in the aluminums could be different and have an adverse effect?

I'll give alumacraft a call.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Yes, that was a problem I had with a boat I bought new. The welds were not the same metal content as the hull and it attracted corrosion. After trying to fix it several times, then a lawyer pissin' match, they took the boat back. ( I was about 3 years into a 5 year hull warranty.) It took so long to sort all of it out that I found and purchased a SeaArk in the midst of the deal. I sold the new hull to a member of this forum.

All that being said - you may want to talk to Rick B. (Sorryfish on this forum) he added sponsons and a lot of other items to an older Alumacraft hull and ran it for a few years afterward. I don't believe he had any issues with it.

- Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Now I see the Tracker boats are adding them. Looked pretty good too. I may price out one of those hulls....

Instead of going through all the rebuilding process on an older hull.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Redbelly wrote:Now I see the Tracker boats are adding them. Looked pretty good too. I may price out one of those hulls....

Instead of going through all the rebuilding process on an older hull.

You may want to talk to Steve about that before shopping.

Or just cut to the chase and place your order on one of these:

https://www.sabineskiffs.com/copy-of-versatile
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Love those Sabines, just too rich for this Ol' boy!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have a friend that teaches welding. I made a mock up of some float pods for the back of my Scandy White 16 foot that I added a 36hp Prodrive to-it sat arse heavy due to the larger weight from the long tail mudbuddy. Conventional pods would not work as the foot has to be able to turn 360 to put it in reverse and take it out (full power reverse). So I made some out of plywood to show him the exact dimensions and where I wanted them mounted. We angled them up on the underside to act as sort of a permanent trim tab. That was about 8-9 years ago and it occasionally sees the salt. Work perfect and are strong enough to stand on.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Speaking of Scandy-White, here's a cool scooter project they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhqmvZ8afM

A buddy ran into another Blountstown builder who makes aluminum poling skiffs--Bracewell Boats. Hopefully they're still around after the hurricane.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Have not talked to them, but I heard Potter Built is okay.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

silverking wrote:Speaking of Scandy-White, here's a cool scooter project they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhqmvZ8afM

A buddy ran into another Blountstown builder who makes aluminum poling skiffs--Bracewell Boats. Hopefully they're still around after the hurricane.
Man. Build that thing with 24" sides, put the same floor and scuppers, then slap my ProDrive on it with a cool camo paint job and that would be the ultimate duck hunting/skinny water/fishing machine. My Scandy just had 4 10" pine trees land on the pole barn it was in, with the trusses collapsing on top of it. 3 trees were laying across the gunwales. Put on a new seat and bent the grab bar back into shape and took it duck hunting (after a day of digging it out from under the pole barn. #onetoughboat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've got the ultimate skinny water fishing machine in my Beavertail Mosquito.

Just trying to help out RedBelly, but he won't get off the dime. Guess he hasn't priced out doing things piece meal, which adds up quickly.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I don't think what I am talking about would add up anywhere close to that Sabine skiff! Or an Xpress aluminum flats skiff.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Redbelly wrote:I don't think what I am talking about would add up anywhere close to that Sabine skiff! Or an Xpress aluminum flats skiff.

I doubt you'd have any issues having someone tig weld a couple on there.

Good as using the original/same aluminum to match? Probably not but if it's an issue i'd bet it wont be for over a decade and then you can always reweld.