active military fishing license question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

active military fishing license question

Post by geofish »

My son is visiting from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana, and I could've sworn there was a rule that active-duty military could get a Florida fishing license for the same fee as an in-state resident. We tried at BassPro, then they referred us to FWC headquarters on Meridian, who told him he had to go to another office at Koger Center, who then directed him to the license plate / tax collector office, who told him he couldn't do it without a Florida driver's license. (seems like if that's the rule, FWC could have told him and saved a lot of hassle).
Was I just having a fever dream, or is there some provision for active duty military coming home to visit family?
reelbad

Re: active military fishing license question

Post by reelbad »

geofish wrote:My son is visiting from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana, and I could've sworn there was a rule that active-duty military could get a Florida fishing license for the same fee as an in-state resident. We tried at BassPro, then they referred us to FWC headquarters on Meridian, who told him he had to go to another office at Koger Center, who then directed him to the license plate / tax collector office, who told him he couldn't do it without a Florida driver's license. (seems like if that's the rule, FWC could have told him and saved a lot of hassle).
Was I just having a fever dream, or is there some provision for active duty military coming home to visit family?
You do not need a license to hunt or fish if you are active duty military not stationed in Fla. and you are home on leave for 30 days or less. Per FWC web site.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Thanks for the lead. I looked at that part of the FWC website and it says "Florida residents who can show authorized leave documentation stating that they are not stationed in Florida and home on leave for 30 days or less are exempt from general license requirements. The leave documentation must be in possession when participating in these activities."
Unfortunately, he's no longer legally a Florida resident. He established residence in Louisiana since he's based there, even though he counts Florida as his real home.
Looks like we'll just make an extra donation to the state of Florida to get the out-of-state license. Hope they spend it wisely :wink:
Somebody post a report if you want to put us on some fish after all this rain / cold weather.
Ecowildlifer

Post by Ecowildlifer »

I purchase the Gold Package on FWC's website for $20.
That price is offered to military only. The license provides you everything. It would be worth it given the normal rate is a few hundred dollars.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Ecowildlifer wrote:I purchase the Gold Package on FWC's website for $20.
That price is offered to military only. The license provides you everything. It would be worth it given the normal rate is a few hundred dollars.

I haven't heard of the Gold Package and can't seem to find it on the FWC site. Could you please post a link for us computer challenged old folks? :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks. Wish they offered a deal like that for non resident military. :smt012
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/