Seized Deck Latch

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scout-Fisher

Seized Deck Latch

Post by Scout-Fisher »

Has anybody on here ever replaced a seized deck latch and how did you remove the seized latch? I am thinking that drilling the old seized latch out is the only way. Any suggestions?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Seized Deck Latch

Post by silverking »

Try soaking it down with PB Blaster fluid and letting it sit for awhile. It may take a few applications and wiggling the latch as it starts to free up.

If you can surround the latch opening with scrap sheet metal pieces, you might be able to loosen it with a very concentrated flame from one of those butane torch lighters. Obviously a fire risk with this approach, so be careful.

If all else fails, drill the screw heads out.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You might try pouring some hot water over it, then tapping with a screw driver and hammer while it is warm. If it is not in a position where you can pour water across it, try a heat gun, but you may melt it.

- Steve Stinson
Scout-Fisher

Post by Scout-Fisher »

Thanks for the input guys. My latch is seized with the door shut. I am scared to put heat on it, don't want to get into the gelcoat/fiberglass and getting any type of lubricant behind it doesn't seem possible.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

if you have a soldering gun you can hold the tip on the screw head and heat it up without messing up the gelcoat
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Soldering gun tip is a great idea. But if you have lock nuts on the screws and can't open the door to access them, turning the heads won't help. In that case you might be forced to drill the heads out and replace all hardware with new.

Aren't boats fun? The fun meter goes even higher when you own a custom rig and parts are specially-made and not readily available.

Let us know the outcome. Hopefully you won't lose too much religion in the process. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm going to remember the soldering gun suggestion! Great idea. Never thought of that. I would probably use my Dremel tool to grind/cut the screw heads off then replace the latch.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Scout-Fisher

Re:Update Seized Deck Latch

Post by Scout-Fisher »

This project has turned out to be a lot worse than expected. The seized latch must be quenched and hardened stainless steel, I burnt up a 21v cordless Dewalt trying to drill it out. To make things worse this latch seized on one of the rod boxes with my favorite shimano Calcutta reel and St. Croix rod inside. I can't decide which I like more, the rod n reel or the boat; I am making up profane words at this point.
StMarksAngler

Re: Re:Update Seized Deck Latch

Post by StMarksAngler »

Scout-Fisher wrote:This project has turned out to be a lot worse than expected. The seized latch must be quenched and hardened stainless steel, I burnt up a 21v cordless Dewalt trying to drill it out. To make things worse this latch seized on one of the rod boxes with my favorite shimano Calcutta reel and St. Croix rod inside. I can't decide which I like more, the rod n reel or the boat; I am making up profane words at this point.
Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with? Might help with brainstorming.