Update on St. Marks Fort Ramps

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Update on St. Marks Fort Ramps

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, the City of St. Marks awarded a contract to a contractor to repair the ramps at the fort that were damaged by hurricane Michael. Under the terms of the contract, the contractor has 45 days to complete the work.

45 days from December 4 is January 18.

Hopefully the work will be completed before the 45 day deadline.

When I passed by the fort ramps on November 26 after putting in at Shields I noticed the City put giant limestone boulders in front of the three ramps to block them. I guess people were driving around the "Road Closed" signs that went up after the hurricane and putting their boats in, since the concrete ramps themselves were functional. Just the floating docks are caddywampus.

I'm surprised they didn't get the ramps fixed ASAP, as one would think that all the boat/trailer traffic at the ramp would bring much needed money into the area. I imagine the Shields parking area and ramp itself is real crowded on the weekends. A weekday at the crack of dawn is all I'll dare until the fort ramps are fixed.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Update on St. Marks Fort Ramps

Post by procraftwes »

Was there on Tuesday and they definitely have been working on the floating docks. IMO should have never been closed because you can land and beach the boat just to the left side.. It even has pilings to tie to.

Floating docks are a luxury and I can't imagine the actual concrete is affected.

I always launch at shields anyway.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Was there on Tuesday and they definitely have been working on the floating docks. IMO should have never been closed because you can land and beach the boat just to the left side.. It even has pilings to tie to.

Floating docks are a luxury and I can't imagine the actual concrete is affected.

I always launch at shields anyway.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

I was there Saturday, January 5, 2019, and the St. Marks Fort ramps are still closed.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

The ramps are now Open at the Fort in St Marks. But the restrooms will remain closed for now.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

woodstock52 wrote:The ramps are now Open at the Fort in St Marks. But the restrooms will remain closed for now.

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Yes, thanks! Took long enough for it to get open.