Hull Wrap- Local?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Hull Wrap- Local?

Post by Srbenda »

Anyone know of someone that does hull wraps in the big bend?
All photos copyright @saverymill
RiverRunner

Re: Hull Wrap- Local?

Post by RiverRunner »

Capital City Wraps, Sydney is great and puts a lot of pride in her work.

https://www.facebook.com/capitalcitywraps/

2104 Gilliam Ln #3
Tallahassee, Florida 32308

(850) 321-7366
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

hull wraps look great but I personally had bad experience with mine when I had it done. I don't want to discourage you by any means but, I don't want someone wasting their money either.

few things that went wrong with mine, during towing, loose gravel would kick up and chip it. which in turn let water inside and created a bubble or a "blister" looking pocket. mine was a solid color (black) which didn't help with the hull being white so all nicks showed from a mile away. if you're going to have a bunch of graphics, flaws might hide better. mine never faded in the year or so I had it but, it didn't hold up well against objects.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

dombern34 wrote:hull wraps look great but I personally had bad experience with mine when I had it done. I don't want to discourage you by any means but, I don't want someone wasting their money either.

few things that went wrong with mine, during towing, loose gravel would kick up and chip it. which in turn let water inside and created a bubble or a "blister" looking pocket. mine was a solid color (black) which didn't help with the hull being white so all nicks showed from a mile away. if you're going to have a bunch of graphics, flaws might hide better. mine never faded in the year or so I had it but, it didn't hold up well against objects.
My hull needs to look better, so I am exploring options, between a full sand/paint and a wrap. While a wrap is shorter term, it seems like a better option.
Also, I generally don't tow as it is kept in dry-storage.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

yes cost wise, the wrap will be the cheaper short term route to take. new gelcoat will cost more but, would out last the wrap by many years. I personally had a boat redone and it wasn't horrible. both will hurt your feelings but, I like to say.. buy once, cry once.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

dombern34 wrote:yes cost wise, the wrap will be the cheaper short term route to take. new gelcoat will cost more but, would out last the wrap by many years. I personally had a boat redone and it wasn't horrible. both will hurt your feelings but, I like to say.. buy once, cry once.
Who did you use?
Cost?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Is this for the Dorado?

Compounding and buffing the hull is an in-between option. A fiberglass restoration compound would remove the oxidation and then a polishing compound and coat of good wax would make it shine. Something you could do yourself by hand or with a buffer if you're careful. Or Shields or Mike's Marine Ways could knock it out also.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Is this for the Dorado?

Compounding and buffing the hull is an in-between option. A fiberglass restoration compound would remove the oxidation and then a polishing compound and coat of good wax would make it shine. Something you could do yourself by hand or with a buffer if you're careful. Or Shields or Mike's Marine Ways could knock it out also.
Yup.

I think it's beyond compounding and buffing. So I'm looking at different options..none of them involve me trying to accomplish it myself. :-D
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats on the "new" ride.

Understand. DIY compounding is a chore, especially on a boat that size. Almost as much fun as refinishing teak. :wink: Both of those shops could also give you a quote on painting the hull and do great work. The wrap will be cheaper, though.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I’m on the second wrap on my old boat in two years. They are okay, just be gentle docking. I’m sure your not going to use yours 4-5 times a week so it should last you a decent while.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Sent Capital City wraps two messages on FB-

No response to either.

Anyone else around here? Otherwise, I'll start looking in Jax or PCity
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:Sent Capital City wraps two messages on FB-

No response to either.

Try a phone call. A lot of business don’t check Facebook often
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Salty Gator wrote:
Srbenda wrote:Sent Capital City wraps two messages on FB-

No response to either.

Try a phone call. A lot of business don’t check Facebook often

Yes, definitely try the phone number I provided above. That is her cell, she might not answer, but leave her a message and she will call you back.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Called twice, 4 hours apart.
No answer, voicemail full.
bigstrike

Post by bigstrike »

She is out of the office I am currently working with her on my new wrap she will be back tommrow