Tailing Redfish *DRONE FOOTAGE*

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Tailing Redfish *DRONE FOOTAGE*

Post by Salty Gator »

dudewheresmyplug wrote:I've been on these fish for years. Just trying to get one to eat on the drone. And we were not in the Refuge by the way..... And you have to remember, i'm trying to cast to the place where I think the fish is. I don't have the drone's perspective while casting at these fish. Only after watching the footage could i actually see where the fish is in relation to my cast. Glad some of you enjoyed it for what it is!
I wasn’t suggesting that you used the drone to scout your fish. I apologize if it came off that way. Or, if I opened it up to that...I was just more talking about the possibility of more and more people using them to scout. If y’all were just about getting a bite you wouldn’t be throwing chicken feathers. Im sure it’s something lazy people will use to scout fish and game, but that definitely doesn’t mean everyone is doing it. If I’m ever on a school of reds and a drone pulls up, then a boat comes screaming in, I’ll probably have something to say about that. But I’m sure y’all are doing it right and didn’t look like there was another boat anywhere around. Again.. super cool video. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dudewheresmyplug

Post by dudewheresmyplug »

I wasn’t suggesting that you used the drone to scout your fish. I apologize if it came off that way. Or, if I opened it up to that...I was just more talking about the possibility of more and more people using them to scout. If y’all were just about getting a bite you wouldn’t be throwing chicken feathers. I'm sure it’s something lazy people will use to scout fish and game, but that definitely doesn’t mean everyone is doing it. If I’m ever on a school of reds and a drone pulls up, then a boat comes screaming in, I’ll probably have something to say about that. But I’m sure y’all are doing it right and didn’t look like there was another boat anywhere around. Again.. super cool video. Thanks for posting[/quote]

Hey man no worries. Glad you enjoyed it!!
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

dudewheresmyplug wrote:I've been on these fish for years. Just trying to get one to eat on the drone. And we were not in the Refuge by the way..... And you have to remember, i'm trying to cast to the place where I think the fish is. I don't have the drone's perspective while casting at these fish. Only after watching the footage could i actually see where the fish is in relation to my cast. Glad some of you enjoyed it for what it is!
It is a cool vid..I didn't intend to play opossum cop, but I've ran into a few Law Enforcement type that seem to think someone with a drone is a menace to the world. Actual Law enforcement as well.

I can never get the nerve to run mine from a boat over nothing but water...but I'll send it down the Ochlockonee a mile or two in autonomous flight...go figure? Not sure anyone could make a case for "lookn for sinker cypress". Hauln em up may be a different story :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_uCknhb8K4
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Enjoyed your video, a lot. Very similar flats fish’n in Flamingo.
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Here's how it would go if I decided to spend the money on a drone and take it fishing to be able to see fish like that:

The first 100 times I would try to go out to use it it would be a windy day, somewhere between ruffles on the water (which would effectively obscure everything you tried to see under the surface) to one of those 15+ knot "protected waters smooth" days.

The first 50 times I'd try to use it on a dead flat calm day, it would be overcast instead of clear and sunny and the surface of the water would look like the dull side of aluminum foil everywhere you looked.

The first 25 times it was a flat calm sunny day, the water would be either milky white or expresso dark.

The 10 times the wind, sun and water were just right, with the weather and sun and water perfect and fish everywhere, I would either a) drop the drone controller overboard; b) drop the rod overboard; or c) fall overboard while holding the controller and the rod while trying to operate the drone and fish at the same time. (The extra benefit of A and C would mean the drone would either fly away never to be seen again, or hover in place til the battery died, at which point it would slowly drop into the water.)

"Unfair use of technology to catch more fish" ..... BWAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Ted in Tallahassee wrote:"Unfair use of technology to catch more fish" ..... BWAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!
That's the truth, they don't stay up long enough to scout if you don't have a general idea where the fish are and they tend to have a mind of their own, I've got 3 and still haven't flown one over salt, one autolanded in a pond with no Ill effects but I'm sure salt won't play as nice. There is at least one drone company in Florida found scouting for commercial fishing though.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

RedHillsTurkeyCalls wrote: Oh...and they're illegal to fly in the NWR.
This is a common misconception. The airspace is not regulated. You can't launch or land in most NWRs, but only the FAA can regulate the airspace.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
Ted in Tallahassee wrote:"Unfair use of technology to catch more fish" ..... BWAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!
That's the truth, they don't stay up long enough to scout if you don't have a general idea where the fish are and they tend to have a mind of their own, I've got 3 and still haven't flown one over salt, one autolanded in a pond with no Ill effects but I'm sure salt won't play as nice. There is at least one drone company in Florida found scouting for commercial fishing though.
As in everything, it all depends. I've been flying drones commercially for more than 5 years. We use models that can stay up an hour or longer, ones that can land in water, ones with infrared, spotlights, etc etc... there's something for everything and it's advancing rapidly all the time. We carry at least one on the boat every time we go out.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

StMarksAngler wrote:
This is a common misconception. The airspace is not regulated. You can't launch or land in most NWRs, but only the FAA can regulate the airspace.
That's incorrect, UAV s can't be operated at all in a NWR, they are considered mechanical transport devices and can't be operated at all.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:
That's incorrect, UAV s can't be operated at all in a NWR, they are considered mechanical transport devices and can't be operated at all.
There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there, it's hard to keep track of it all even from day to day. But the airspace above a NWR is not a part of the NWR itself and as such is not subject to restriction of UAV usage. Having said that some NWRs will attempt to enforce airspace restrictions anyway, and there are other laws pertaining to the protection of wildlife that may come into play depending on your actions... but there is currently no federal law specifically barring operation of a UAV above an NWR.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

True, flights from outside the stake line would be outside of their jurisdiction.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

BTW the USDA Forest Service rule regarding "mechanical transport" that is sometimes referenced by mistake regarding usage over NWRs actually reads:
Drones are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and, as such, they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from Congressionally designated wilderness areas
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

StMarksAngler wrote:
So I wonder if an exception would be granted, to launch outside the NWR and proceed to operate outside line-of-sight, within the NWR?

Not sure..because on a sectional the SMNWR (as is many other wilderness areas) is outlined in this funny blue dotted line.

Wonder if "stay above 2000 ft" is a suggestion or a directive?

Regardless..you are incorrect in the statement "the airspace is not regulated". It clearly is as shown on the sectional.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

So I wonder if an exception would be granted, to launch outside the NWR and proceed to operate outside line-of-sight, within the NWR?
Exceptions to line-of-sight flight are granted by petition on a case-by-case basis by the FAA, but are typically not approved. But that doesn't have any bearing on flying over an NWR so long as you launch from outside of it.
Wonder if "stay above 2000 ft" is a suggestion or a directive?
The 2000ft altitude requirement is widely held to be a request rather than a rule, as it doesn't appear appear in the Federal Aviation Regulations, but rather in an informational bulletin. The guideline is also specifically written for large fixed wing or VFR rotary craft, not UAVs under 55lbs.
Regardless..you are incorrect in the statement "the airspace is not regulated". It clearly is as shown on the sectional.
To disambiguate, the airspace above a NWR is not regulated by the rules of that NWR, but rather by the FAA. Individual NWRs may or may not have accompanying FAA airspace regulations. But there is no blanket FAA prohibition from operating UAVs above NWRs.