What do you want to say to FWC

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MIAcanes44

Re: What do you want to say to FWC

Post by MIAcanes44 »

silverking wrote:Loaded the cooler with trout... How many were over 20 inches?

Thanks for the generous offer, but I was fishing with some of the top guides in the state. Pretty sure they knew what to use and where to fish. Not saying we didn't catch good numbers of trout, just that none were bigger than our slot fish. We also caught plenty of reds, too. It's an incredible fishery over there, for sure, but even die-hard Cajuns are starting to see changes to the fishery. Again, various factors at play such as less pressure per acre of water, saltwater intrusion into the marsh, erosion and the most generous bag limits along the Gulf Coast. Contrary to historical beliefs, marine life is a finite resource.
I would say 1/3 of the trout we caught were 18-22 inches long. When you catch so many, you just stop counting. We also didn't need to use a top guide in the state to catch our fish. We simply look at the map and use our fishing talents.

I will send you a private message anyways. Maybe it will be helpful to the top guides. I only go over there once a year so, giving up info won't hurt me.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Redfin wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:Let me know if you need help silverking and I can send you a private message with location and lures used.
Very nice gesture. Good folks on here.
Lmao.

I obviously would not like a closed harvest but I would support removing all fish over 20 from the bag limit, I already practice this myself and encourage my clients to do so as well, although it doesn’t always land with them. Also if everyone really thinks the trout fishery really needs some more good ol government regulation I would be in favor of reducing the total bag limit to 4, that would save more trout than a season closure. My personal opinion is the trout fishery in our area is fine. If I’m not busy I plan on attending at least one day of meetings in Gainesville, there are a few topics on the agenda I would like to hear the discussion behind.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MIAcanes44 wrote:
silverking wrote:Loaded the cooler with trout... How many were over 20 inches?

Thanks for the generous offer, but I was fishing with some of the top guides in the state. Pretty sure they knew what to use and where to fish. Not saying we didn't catch good numbers of trout, just that none were bigger than our slot fish. We also caught plenty of reds, too. It's an incredible fishery over there, for sure, but even die-hard Cajuns are starting to see changes to the fishery. Again, various factors at play such as less pressure per acre of water, saltwater intrusion into the marsh, erosion and the most generous bag limits along the Gulf Coast. Contrary to historical beliefs, marine life is a finite resource.
I would say 1/3 of the trout we caught were 18-22 inches long. When you catch so many, you just stop counting. We also didn't need to use a top guide in the state to catch our fish. We simply look at the map and use our fishing talents.

I will send you a private message anyways. Maybe it will be helpful to the top guides. I only go over there once a year so, giving up info won't hurt me.
With a full cooler , how many were gators? With that many I’d expect y’all ya catch a bunch over 27”
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

After thinking some more on it I want to be more adversarial to the the idea of closing seasons. I feel like that is the easy route because most people don’t fish Jan/Feb much if at all and even for the people that do you only have roughly half the days to fish because of the weather. Most of the big trout I’ve found stacked up the past few winters have been in December but no one says close December because the weather is usually still nice and people want to fish. If you really want to reduce the number of trout harvested let’s talk about reducing the bag limit. If you can find some decent weather like we have had, dead winter is one of my favorite times to fish and I’m not talking about anchoring in a river. This afternoon will be my 9th straight day on the water and I’m probably going to harvest less trout this month than any other. If you gave me the option I’d rather drop the bag to 3 per person than to close a month or two.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

MIAcanes44 wrote:I would say 1/3 of the trout we caught were 18-22 inches long. When you catch so many, you just stop counting. We also didn't need to use a top guide in the state to catch our fish. We simply look at the map and use our fishing talents.

Your PM must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

If I were still guiding you could book me for a trip so I could show you how to sight-fish quality trout and reds right here in our local waters so you wouldn't have to drive six hours over to Louisiana and waste all that gas. Too bad, but I've retired from guiding. Tight lines, anyway.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

silverking wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote: If I were still guiding you could book me for a trip so I could show you how to sight-fish quality trout and reds right here in our local waters so you wouldn't have to drive six hours over to Louisiana and waste all that gas. Too bad, but I've retired from guiding. Tight lines, anyway.
ummmm pretty sure he said he goes once a year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so doubt he's burning too much gas. And not everyone site fishes - or has to - to get said quality fish.
Why so aggressive?
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

silverking wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:I would say 1/3 of the trout we caught were 18-22 inches long. When you catch so many, you just stop counting. We also didn't need to use a top guide in the state to catch our fish. We simply look at the map and use our fishing talents.

Your PM must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

If I were still guiding you could book me for a trip so I could show you how to sight-fish quality trout and reds right here in our local waters so you wouldn't have to drive six hours over to Louisiana and waste all that gas. Too bad, but I've retired from guiding. Tight lines, anyway.
The private message must not have worked so I will just post on here. This is right off the coast in Grand Isle. Just use a white gulp on 1/4 ounce red jighead.

Too bad you don't guide anymore. Would have loved to go with a top guide in the state.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Well..... I see you two boys want to pick on Ole Capt. Dave.

Luckily he can take it. I've known him a long time, from back in the early days of FCA the original CCA Florida.

I know he has actually worked to improve our fisheries, not just talked about it.

I know he was an actual licensed professional fishing guide for many years, something that only a handful on here can say they have done.

I know he currently writes for and has written for local, regional and national outdoor publications, something nobody on here can say they have done.

I know he had gone on dozens and dozens of exotic fishing trips, trips that would be once in a lifetime for many on here. On those trips, he has caught just about every gamefish that swims, from Marlin to Bluegills.

I know he is a very enjoyable fishing partner, who has a nice skiff and knows how to pole, tie cool knots, cast, spot fish, tell stories of far off lands, and will do anything for a friend.

And I know that he is spending today taking care of his Mom who is suffering terribly from dementia.

So what have you two boys ever done?
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Bman before this turns into a Psssing contest please tell them hello :smt006 from Jefferson County . That is all !
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

rockyg wrote: So what have you two boys ever done?
Agree! I wanna know as well... we waiting fells.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

rockyg wrote:Well..... I see you two boys want to pick on Ole Capt. Dave.

Luckily he can take it. I've known him a long time, from back in the early days of FCA the original CCA Florida.

I know he has actually worked to improve our fisheries, not just talked about it.

I know he was an actual licensed professional fishing guide for many years, something that only a handful on here can say they have done.

I know he currently writes for and has written for local, regional and national outdoor publications, something nobody on here can say they have done.

I know he had gone on dozens and dozens of exotic fishing trips, trips that would be once in a lifetime for many on here. On those trips, he has caught just about every gamefish that swims, from Marlin to Bluegills.

I know he is a very enjoyable fishing partner, who has a nice skiff and knows how to pole, tie cool knots, cast, spot fish, tell stories of far off lands, and will do anything for a friend.

And I know that he is spending today taking care of his Mom who is suffering terribly from dementia.

So what have you two boys ever done?

Hey! All I said was we should change our limits to Louisiana style instead of taking more fishery away from us. Silverking called me out like he is the only one who knows how to fish and basically called me a liar. We all know how to tie lines, cast and tell stories. Fish don't care what kind of skiff you are in.

Sorry about his mom.
bman

Post by bman »

Come on guys... this is not Florida sportsnuts. Be polite
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Salty Gator wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:Thank you John for mentioning the impact this would cause local businesses. I was just about to say that myself. It's already hard enough to convince yourself to catch a couple of fish and fight new regulations. Why do we always think making changes to rules and regulations will help things? If people continue to catch trout with the limits we have, then I don't see a reason to change anything. Louisiana allows anglers to keep 25 trout per person with a minimum of 12". They don't seem to have a problem with that. So there you go! I want you to tell FWC to increase our trout and redfish limits. Make it just like Louisiana.
This is rediculous. No way Florida could handle limits like Lousianna. They have twice the habitat and a hundredth of the pressure. Yea, increasing the limit x 5 and lowering the slot 3” would be a great idea. :roll: . This may be there dumbest idea I’ve ever heard on this forum and that says a lot.
Of course I don't think we should change our limits to Louisiana. I was being sarcastic. I think we should just leave it alone. I am just tired of people trying to change the limits because they are not catching fish. That doesn't mean they are not there. People just need to change their tactics and/or places to fish. Conversations like this is probably what happened to red snapper. Look where we are with that now.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MIAcanes44 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:Thank you John for mentioning the impact this would cause local businesses. I was just about to say that myself. It's already hard enough to convince yourself to catch a couple of fish and fight new regulations. Why do we always think making changes to rules and regulations will help things? If people continue to catch trout with the limits we have, then I don't see a reason to change anything. Louisiana allows anglers to keep 25 trout per person with a minimum of 12". They don't seem to have a problem with that. So there you go! I want you to tell FWC to increase our trout and redfish limits. Make it just like Louisiana.
This is rediculous. No way Florida could handle limits like Lousianna. They have twice the habitat and a hundredth of the pressure. Yea, increasing the limit x 5 and lowering the slot 3” would be a great idea. :roll: . This may be there dumbest idea I’ve ever heard on this forum and that says a lot.
Of course I don't think we should change our limits to Louisiana. I was being sarcastic. I think we should just leave it alone. I am just tired of people trying to change the limits because they are not catching fish. That doesn't mean they are not there. People just need to change their tactics and/or places to fish. Conversations like this is probably what happened to red snapper. Look where we are with that now.

I didn’t pick up the sarcasm. My bad. I erased my post when I saw bmans post. I really don’t have a dog in this fight. I don’t trout fish, must like to catch the occasional big one. I’d like to see a healthy population so joe johnboat or pontoon boat and pop corks and get a dinner.

And I don’t see huge snapper, more plentiful than they have ever been as a bad thing, just sayin