Status of Mashes Sands Boat Ramp?

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

Status of Mashes Sands Boat Ramp?

Post by geofish »

Anybody know if Mashes Sands boat ramp is open? They were talking about closing it for a month to dredge the channel after the hurricane, but I haven't checked lately.
Ebryant

Re: Status of Mashes Sands Boat Ramp?

Post by Ebryant »

They told a friend of mine it would be July or August.
They are doing something to the ramp.
fredhey

Post by fredhey »

Was by there Wednesday and it was closed off as was Mashes Sands Beach road at the ramp turn in. Think I remember from the local mullet wrapper sometime last month that the ramp would be closed for several months.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Makes sense, close down the ramp for several months at the beginning of the boating season.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

StMarksAngler wrote:Makes sense, close down the ramp for several months at the beginning of the boating season.
I would bet money that those that lost their homes and business could care less about a boat ramp, regardless the time of year or season.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I used that ramp several times during duck season and it was in good shape, so I don't know why they decided it needed to be closed and repaired.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

reelbad wrote:
StMarksAngler wrote:Makes sense, close down the ramp for several months at the beginning of the boating season.
I would bet money that those that lost their homes and business could care less about a boat ramp, regardless the time of year or season.
Maybe folks that lost their homes and business need to get on the water as bad as anyone. The local economy could use the dollars.This is a thread about the status of a boat ramp ( although it is in the wrong section.. it is definitely not an offshore fishing report) ,if you would like to start another about the hard times people are having then no one is stopping you.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

https://www.thewakullanews.com/content/ ... g-dredging

This article in the Wakulka news says the ramp is closed for dredging and may open on March 20 (weather permitting). Anyone know if the dredging is vomplete?
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Check that.....didnt realize this was a article from 2018.
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Was wondering if you could launch a 20' bay boat at the Ochlockonee Bay Boat Ramp on the SW side of the bridge at say mid-tide or higher? If so would it require a four-wheel drive truck to do so? Just looking on google earth it appears the ramp is covered in sand at a lower tide. Not sure if that's just sand washed up covering the concrete ramp and it's still a good hard surface or if it is in fact a dirt (sand) ramp?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Bridge ramp is concrete, but the current rips through there with lots of accumulated sand. Small jons and skiffs aren't usually a problem. I wouldn't attempt a bay boat launch without 4-wheel drive, however, unless you have a buddy vehicle with a tow strap to haul you back out if you get stuck.

Alternatives are the Shell Point Wakulla County Ramp. Rock Landing Ramp in Panacea or Ochlockonee River State Park. Deeper, protected water. Launch fees required.

Hope this helps.

(Edited to add Rock Landing)
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Thanks Silverking, that's exactly what I was needing to know. Looks like it will be Rock Landing Ramp for me.
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

The mashes sands ramp didn't seem remotely close to being done this past weekend.

Also, I got stuck several years ago at the bridge ramp pulling a 14' whaler with my old jeep that was on 33" mud tires...luckily I had a winch. I haven't launched there since but might give it a go while the other ramp is out of commission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
STMU

Post by STMU »

Captainawesomepants wrote:Also, I got stuck several years ago at the bridge ramp pulling a 14' whaler with my old jeep that was on 33" mud tires...luckily I had a winch. I haven't launched there since but might give it a go while the other ramp is out of commission.
I've got stuck there too. Trailer completely sank in the sand while trying to pull the boat out. Ended up pushing the boat off the trailer, and dug out the sand around the frame, tires, and axles. I was able to pull up the trailer enough to find harder sand, winched the boat back on and never went back again! I was pulling out near a low tide, which was probably part of the problem, but I'm not letting that happen a second time.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Wakulla County Board of County Commissioners Administration wrote:Mash Island Boat Ramp will RE-OPEN tomorrow, Saturday, June 8, 2019.

Nice.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image