Stone crabs

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Igoafishin

Stone crabs

Post by Igoafishin »

Does anyone know much about the stone crabbing in the panhandle that they would be willing to share?
Did the crabbers have a good season this year?
What depth does most of the crabbing take place in up there?
Thanks in advance for any info whatsoever
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Stone crabs

Post by fishinfool »

I know Greenbone does some stone crabbing, maybe he will chime in.
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

I dropped some recreational traps this year so I can tell you what not to do!

We dropped traps in the mouth of the river on out and used sardines as bait. We didnt get one and the bait turned to goo. We are going Sunday to check them again so I will update then. We are gonna try some new areas and bait.

We did see a lot of commercial traps out near the last marker on both sides of the channel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Captainawesomepants wrote:I dropped some recreational traps this year so I can tell you what not to do!

We dropped traps in the mouth of the river on out and used sardines as bait. We didnt get one and the bait turned to goo. We are going Sunday to check them again so I will update then. We are gonna try some new areas and bait.

We did see a lot of commercial traps out near the last marker on both sides of the channel.

Those may be bluebcrab traps. I think most of the stone crab pots are a little deeper ( 20’).it seems like a good idea, but it is a lot of work. One guy will invite someone fishing, but not tell them about the crab pots. Then he makes them put on awful, hot rain gear and pull those nasty ropes for a couple of hours before fishing.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Stone crabbing has been hit and miss last couple of years. I know Ted in Tallahassee still has a few pots out,but it’s hardly worth the trouble. I’ve crabbed in St Marks for 6-7 years except for this year since I moved to Carrabelle.Couple 3 years ago TallyKen and I did real well. Many days getting the 2 gallon limit. Pulling 20 pots did keep us in shape. Best bait is your fish carcasses,trout,red,grouper heads,etc. We set traps out past the StMarks boundary in 10-15’ and check them 10-14 days later. If you wait too long to check, they will canabilize themselves. Good luck,season ends May 15.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Greenbone wrote:Stone crabbing has been hit and miss last couple of years. I know Ted in Tallahassee still has a few pots out,but it’s hardly worth the trouble. I’ve crabbed in St Marks for 6-7 years except for this year since I moved to Carrabelle.Couple 3 years ago TallyKen and I did real well. Many days getting the 2 gallon limit. Pulling 20 pots did keep us in shape. Best bait is your fish carcasses,trout,red,grouper heads,etc. We set traps out past the StMarks boundary in 10-15’ and check them 10-14 days later. If you wait too long to check, they will canabilize themselves. Good luck,season ends May 15.
Yep, it’s a good time. You have to plan around the weather but it doesn’t take too long to check the trap and the bounty is worth it. Our record with around 20 traps was a few shy of 80 claws.
The Back Porch
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I see the commercial traps out about 6-10 miles south of St. Marks, mostly in water 20' to 30' deep.

Allegedly, this is also good bottom for fishing as well, although I've trolled it, never picked up a grouper.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If you want to dive/snorkel for them I've got a quality elbow length stainless steel chainmail glove for sale that will save your fingers. :-D $30.
Attachments
20190318_091100.jpg
20190318_091027.jpg
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Captainawesomepants

Post by Captainawesomepants »

Yeah, we switched bait and nothing. Next outing we are gonna move them deeper for one last try (weather permitting).

We did get one stone crab although the whole crab was about the size of pne legal claw.

Igoafishin

Post by Igoafishin »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info