Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Careful Spearfishing with All this Freshwater

Post by MudDucker »

Wow, glad your son wasn't hurt. I've had some close encounters with gators, but never had one get that close. Now I was in Okeechobee years ago wade fishing with my stringer following behind, when I felt something tugging on my stringer. At first thought it was the fish, but finally turned to see two moccasins fighting over my fish. Decided to let them win and wade quickly away. We enter their world.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

MudDucker wrote:Wow, glad your son wasn't hurt. I've had some close encounters with gators, but never had one get that close. Now I was in Okeechobee years ago wade fishing with my stringer following behind, when I felt something tugging on my stringer. At first thought it was the fish, but finally turned to see two moccasins fighting over my fish. Decided to let them win and wade quickly away. We enter their world.
Man I’d rather fight off a shark or alligator as opposed to a gang of moccasins.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:That is nuts, spearfishing those tidal creeks never really sounded safe to me. I’ve seen a bunch of gators in the salt and they are almost always big.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Cast nets are east to learn to throw. Evolution is good.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Just realized this post is from 2012, I was looking for the news story and wondering who the heck was spear fishing mullet in February. I feel dumb.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve bumped up a few old topics in the past after searching for them but that’s not what this was. It was right there in the list. I’m guessing my fat fingers hit something besides “next” or “2” and I ended up here. It hasn’t been the coldest February. I just figured somebody lucked up in a creek lol! Not to mention the gator. I saw 1 at the head of the Wacissa the other day.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

BloodyChamp wrote:Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!
That’s me. I’m assuming you are the guy awhile back asking me about fishing the Pinhook. Not trying to talk myself out of any business but I still think you guys would be fine in a gheenoe if you just pick a day the tide is good and high and the wind isn’t bad. If you did nothing over idle, you could be in pinhook from the lower Aucilla ramp in 30-40 minutes. On high tide you can get there without ever going in the gulf.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
BloodyChamp wrote:Another thing I just noticed...this is Appalachee Inshores from FB!!!!!!!!!! I messaged you with what was probably a random sounding question on your end, about the Pinhook, a couple days after the most embarrassing disaster of my life happened out there last summer. I’ve referenced that story here many times without telling the whole thing lol!
That’s me. I’m assuming you are the guy awhile back asking me about fishing the Pinhook. Not trying to talk myself out of any business but I still think you guys would be fine in a gheenoe if you just pick a day the tide is good and high and the wind isn’t bad. If you did nothing over idle, you could be in pinhook from the lower Aucilla ramp in 30-40 minutes. On high tide you can get there without ever going in the gulf.
That was me! Love your pics on FB.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I thought spearfishing in fresh water was illegal. What delineates the ocean from the creek/river?
850-273-8818
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Depends on what fish you spear. Most areas have a salt water demarcation line, but the fish just ignore it. :D
STMU

Post by STMU »

ropeman wrote:Depends on what fish you spear. Most areas have a salt water demarcation line, but the fish just ignore it. :D
Not necessarily based on species. Saltwater demarcation yes. Sheepshead, for example, is perfectly legal to spear in salt, but not fresh. It almost becomes subjective based on the officer's interpretation and location.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

wow. that's just crazy. I have seen them out there. one of the biggest I ever seen was near Bald Point.
Pirate Girl