Cook What You Caught

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Cook What You Caught

Post by Srbenda »

I'm sure there are people here who don't eat fish, but I'll eat ( most ) anything I catch.
This thread should be people posting how they cooked what they caught, no italian salad dressing allowed.

I caught a nice size Spanish Mackeral today, and fileted it into 8 sizeable pieces, each roughly a single person portion. They were dumped into a large ziplock bag, and marinated for a few minutes in soy sauce, chilies, and a few other spices.

Then, a light layer of sesame oil was heated, until it was slightly sizzling, and the first pieces of fish went in.

Each side was cooked for about 5 minutes, and then flipped. I left the skin on for the first bit of cooking, as it peels off very easily once done.
I did 3 batches of filets, adding some sesame oil to the pan each time.

After the fish was cooked, I deglazed the pan with some white wine, and then added the remainder of my marinade and some heavy cream. This took just a few minutes to reduce over high heat, and it was fantastic. Anyone who thinks Spanish Mackeral is a poor eating fish, just hasn't had it cooked well.

All photos copyright @saverymill
luckywsp

Re: Cook What You Caught

Post by luckywsp »

Looks delicious. It also makes some of the best ceviche if you have not tried that yet as well. My buddy is a chef and turned me on to it. I’m always happy when I put a Spanish in the boat.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Nice! Big enough for 8, that's a big spanish.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sounds tasty. Spanish are fun to catch and under-rated for table fare.

There is a recipe section under the General Discussion. Would make it easier to reference for future chefs. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'd agree, Ive grilled and fried spainsh and they are excellent table-fare, haven't gotten that fancy with them yet but that looks awesome.
rickc

Post by rickc »

Spanish
Cook fresh like the day you caught it and it is fine eating

I keep it simple. Leave the skin on. Sprinkle salt pepper and a little old bay. Throw it on the grill till the meat.turns white.

Eat up!
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

looks awesome!
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

That looks great! Will have to try it. This was my latest creation, even though it wasn't fish. Turned out excellent!

4 venison backstraps well dressed, cut a pocket in each. Filled the pocket with cream cheese and jalapenos in two, and cream cheese and banana peppers in the other two. Then wrapped with bacon. Sprayed baking pan with olive oil spray, then baked at 375 degree for 75 minutes. Cut into about 1 inch steaks. If my 4 year old will eat it and ask for more, it has to be good!

ImageUntitled by Matt Price, on Flickr
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Kingfish: Lightly marinated with soy sauce and chili peppers, sauteed in butter until done.
Finished with a habanero cream sauce.

Delicious!

tabb

Post by tabb »

I grilled a sail cat that we caught along with a Spanish.
The cat fillets were thin and cooked a good bit more than Spanish. My wife said the catfish was better and liked the well done edges of the fillet.
Old bay was the only spice I added to fillets.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

tabb wrote:I grilled a sail cat that we caught along with a Spanish.
The cat fillets were thin and cooked a good bit more than Spanish. My wife said the catfish was better and liked the well done edges of the fillet.
Old bay was the only spice I added to fillets.
Sailcat huh?

Are these different than the hardhead catfish?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've never tried them but sailcats are different from hardheads. May have something to do with diets. I've caught many on topwater plugs and they fight hard. Never could get past the slime, though. Tabb, any tips on cleaning/prep?

Cheated yesterday after watching the Braves come back to avoid the sweep. Took my last pack of cobia filets and marinaded them in Newman's Family Recipe Italian dressing. I know, nothing creative but quick and easy. On the grill for about 8 minutes per side. Served with mac and cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes and a baguette wrapped in foil and toasted on the grill with EVOO and parmesan cheese. :lick:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tabb

Post by tabb »

I just started behind ribs and went down backbone flipped it over and took the skin off.
Just regular fillet.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:thumbup:
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Night and day difference between sailcats & hardheads in terms of both fight & flavor. If sailcats did not have the barbs and slime, they'd probably be major target fish for sport and skillet.