Help with Pit Boss Pellet Grill

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Price3275

Help with Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Post by Price3275 »

So yesterday, while at Lowe's to get $8.44 worth of plumbing fittings for a repair, I had to walk through the grill display area, and there was a damaged (VERY minor dent in the pellet hopper door that won't hurt anything) PitBoss 1100 pellet grill sitting there marked $299. These grills are normally $500. I ended up talking to the manager, and left with a $500 grill for $250. Now for my question... I have never used one of these grills. Does anyone have one similar that could offer some tips/DOs/DON'Ts for it? Anyone ever smoked any mullet on one?
ImageGrill by Matt Price, on Flickr

ImageGrill by Matt Price, on Flickr

And I finally appear to have figured out how to post pictures again! :thumbup:
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Help with Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

A good friend of mine has one and the only issue he's had is little grease catcher will catch fire
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

set and forget it !!!!!!!!!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I have a traeger and smoke fish on it. Tips. I put foil over the drip pan for everything. For fish I put the fish on a wire rack on top of cookie sheets or foil ( don’t want my smoker to smell fishy). Smoke fish as cold as you can less than 200 is best. If you see white stuff in the meat( albumin) it’s smoking to hot. Not the end of the world especially if your smoking for dip. I also brine my fish first amd set up a pellicle by removing from brine , patting dry them put in fridge on wire rack for 4 hrs to overnight. It forms a laquor type coating that really absorbs rub and smoke. I’ll post a link to a good salmon smoking site that I used to get started smoking if I can find it. Good luck

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Salty Gator wrote:I have a traeger and smoke fish on it. Tips. I put foil over the drip pan for everything. For fish I put the fish on a wire rack on top of cookie sheets or foil over the grate( don’t want my smoker to smell fishy). Smoke fish as cold as you can, less than 200 is best. If you see white liquid oozing out on the meat( albumin) it’s smoking to hot. Not the end of the world, especially if your smoking for dip. I also brine my fish first amd set up a pellicle by removing from brine , patting dry them put in fridge on wire rack for 4 hrs to overnight. It forms a laquor type coating that really absorbs rub and smoke. I’ll post a link to a good salmon smoking site that I used to get started smoking if I can find it. Good luck

Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Salty Gator wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:I have a traeger and smoke fish on it. Tips. I put foil over the drip pan for everything. For fish I put the fish on a wire rack on top of cookie sheets or foil over the grate( don’t want my smoker to smell fishy). Smoke fish as cold as you can, less than 200 is best. If you see white liquid oozing out on the meat( albumin) it’s smoking to hot. Not the end of the world, especially if your smoking for dip. I also brine my fish first amd set up a pellicle by removing from brine , patting dry them put in fridge on wire rack for 4 hrs to overnight. It forms a laquor type coating that really absorbs rub and smoke. I’ll post a link to a good salmon smoking site that I used to get started smoking if I can find it. Good luck

This is almost exactly how I did some mullet yesterday...Man they turned out good! Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to learn this new to me way of smoking.
ImageUntitled by Matt Price, on Flickr

FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

They got mullets in TN? that dip look good !
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

FTReelty wrote:They got mullets in TN? that dip look good !
We stocked them in the creek up here a year or two ago and they took off!!! :D (I cleaned these and froze them in November... last time I could find any around Wakulla)

Yeah the dip was actually good for somebody that doesn't know what he's doing... cream cheese, sour cream, jalapeno, bell pepper, green onion, garlic, celery, lemon juice, old bay, salt, mullet... :thumbup: