Slave Canal questions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Slave Canal questions

Post by BloodyChamp »

First of all what’s going on with FCKA? It was down for a while then just now I got a security notice to get off the site. There was a catch all Slave Canal thread there.

Has anybody here been through it lately though? Somebody I haven’t been fishing with in probably 20 years asked me to take him through it. I’ve never been all the way through it in 1 day but have been down and up, or up and back down to Nutall Rise covering 99% of it I’m sure. That’s been years ago though and there’s 1 scary thought - the f**%#~< silt that’s took over the Wacissa. And the steady lack of water in the river because of the dam’s problems even where there is no silt. Could the slave canals be no more (or are they already???)?
Last edited by BloodyChamp on April 22nd, 2019, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Slave Canal questions

Post by Salty Gator »

Fcka is still operational, just not a lot of traffic. As far as I know the canals are still there, I read a report from a guy that caught a mess of bream there.
Link
https://fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=9880
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

If you are on facebook, Harry Smith Outdoors does kayak tours out there and has posted some pics on it recently including some of the slave canal.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I saw on FB where canoers and kayakers has made the trip as usual. Several people and groups posted public pics. Good to see. The truth is most of the water probably whooshes to Half Mike Rise anyway.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

BloodyChamp wrote:First of all what’s going on with FCKA? It was down for a while then just now I got a security notice to get off the site.
That's simply a browser warning telling you that the site doesn't have a valid SSL certificate, but is using HTTPS urls. Probably the site has been neglected a bit recently and the certificate expired and hasn't yet been renewed. All of the major browsers started adding these warning notices in the past 6 months or so.

There's no actual security concern on FCKA, this sort of thing happens very commonly on small sites.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Just like this place last year, it had gone flat with everything flooded last summer followed by a hurricane. There’s alot of information on that forum. I hope we don’t lose it.

Might as well dump today’s story here. I made it down to a sinkhole with my lil boat for what feels like the first time in a hundred years because of how long it’s been and how organized I was lol! I forgot the anchor tied up on the other boat and the 1 cork I had was somehow messed up since it kept sinking. I’m not really a cork fisherman but I will use 1 simply to keep from getting hung on everything that’s on the sides of those sinkholes. And get hung is what I did lol! When I didn’t get hung though that line jumped. Then of course when I caught 1 it was just enough to scoot me downstream where I couldn’t make the cast again. The 1 spot I sat lodged against a log at got me 6 Stumpknockers, 3 of which were Redbreast sized slabs! I got 1 more giant Redbreast and 2 more hand sized Redbreasts floating around. So 9 altogether in spite of the 2 hiccups. The water was perfect though, solid black and slick as glass. If you anchored down with live bait and a cork if it’s cork territory (lol!) I don’t doubt that you could catch a bucket full fast.

Really itching to get out on 1 of the rivers now. This was an afternoon trip. As soon as I have a whole day I’ll be doing some serious river fishing.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Has anybody ever paddled up and back down? I ask for a reason but it’s a long story.
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Three of us did an up and down probably 20 years ago. Put in at Nutall Rise, had a friend with a place there, launched from his back yard.
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

How long did it take Wally?
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

BloodyChamp wrote:How long did it take Wally?
Dusting off 20 year old memories... it was less than a full day. Three guys in kayaks, and we didn't run into any log jams that caused significant time. Beautiful late fall trip.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Imma try it...the last calm area there between the Canal and the fast water below Goose Pasture might be my favorite fishing spot ever.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went up and back today! The paddle was easier than I though it would be. The only reason I’m really even tired is because I got struck with a case of something that rarely hits me but when it hits it hits hard...the boat butt!!! If you don’t know what that is I better not change that lol! I didn’t get to fish much because it was such a long trip that I had to get back down before dark but still managed a nice 10 bream.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Yikes friend. Hope you kept the fish to have a dinner you definitely earned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk