4/24 St Marks Reef / Dog Ballard

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

4/24 St Marks Reef / Dog Ballard

Post by StMarksAngler »

Headed out from the lighthouse around 7am, stopped at the Bird Rack to sabiki some bait but only found a few grunts and BSB. My first time trying to catch bait there, is there a specific area to target other than right up on the rack itself?

Went out to St Marks reef, caught a few short gags and some BSB. As the air temp warmed up we hopped in the water and shot a couple of huge sheepshead. Visibility was about 15ft with a lot of suspended particles. Spent about an hour chasing two very large gags but they were clever and in and out of the rubble constantly. Combined with the vis and current we were never able to get a decent shot on either of them.

Went over to Dog Ballard and no action that way. Cruised around trolling for a while when we noticed some surface disturbance a few hundred yards out on the glass calm water. Chugged over to find a pair of 60lb+ cobia. Started pitching jigs at them which they showed no interest in but my brother was throwing on his mask and fins. Managed to keep them interested long enough for him to gear up, hop in and place a shot in one of them. It went wild, we raced to get it to the boat, but the shaft pulled just as I went to gaff it. First miss of the year. :(
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: 4/24 St Marks Reef / Dog Ballard

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like fun! I bet a big cobia on a speargun is quite a ride. :lol:
Yours in the South
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Nice!
Surprised to hear there are any gags on the St Marks reef as it seems to always have a boat on it
All photos copyright @saverymill
geofish

Post by geofish »

Too cool. I mentioned catching a load of pinfish out by the bird rack, but it was maybe a couple hundrd yards closer to shore and northeast, drifting 4 ft depth between a mess of crab pots.
Might have to go looking for that big cobe this weekend though!
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Srbenda wrote:Nice!
Surprised to hear there are any gags on the St Marks reef as it seems to always have a boat on it
There were a bunch of gags on the one spot we dove there (6 or 7 other boats adjacent to us so we moved on). Close to a dozen, at least three keepers including the two big boys. Lots of big mangroves and sheepshead also.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

geofish wrote:Too cool. I mentioned catching a load of pinfish out by the bird rack, but it was maybe a couple hundrd yards closer to shore and northeast, drifting 4 ft depth between a mess of crab pots.
Might have to go looking for that big cobe this weekend though!
I'll keep that in mind next time, thanks!