Navionics Chip Updated - won't load in Humminbird

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlyrodC

Navionics Chip Updated - won't load in Humminbird

Post by FlyrodC »

Fellas, this is my challenge. The East Gulf Navionics Platinum Plus chip had been working perfectly in my Humminbird 997 C SI. I bought the chip about 9 months ago and received 1 year of free updates. Decided to do the update recently. Everything seemed to go perfectly and the update was completed. Now I plug the chip into the machine and it won't read it. When I go to a map view it just registers that it's loading and will load for about 3-5 minutes and then either shut off and reset or nothing. I've resorted to pulling the chip and using the factory installed info for the short term.

I have spoken to Humminbird and they gave me a few tips to insure my settings were accurate but it didn't fix it. I've also read that the 997 is a single processor unit and maybe isn't fast enough to process the updates. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Even down to the simplest thing. I've put the chip in locked and unlocked, I've backed the view out to 1 mile thinking that less detail might allow the update to process.

I probably need to get on the phone with Humminbird while in front of the unit but wanted to see if anyone had any experience they could share that might get me quickly back to navigating, with detail, around Apalachee Bay.
Srbenda

Re: Navionics Chip Updated - won't load in Humminbird

Post by Srbenda »

No help for your Humminbird, but you can download the Boating HD app ( $10 ) on your phone or tablet and use it to navigate and get around in the interim.
It's a pretty effective tool, which I use as a backup.
It has all the public reefs marked, as well as channels, etc.
All photos copyright @saverymill
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Not sure if this would have anything to do with your problem, but there was a gps rollover on 4/6/19 and it affected a lot of older units, one of my simrads (nss8) had to be updated before it would load. I had to download the update from simrad and install. I use navionics too. the simrad GO series were not affected. Just a thought??
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Worst case - get Humminbird to send you the previous version of the software and reload what you had.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Did you have the machine turned on or off when the card was reinserted?
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I have an 1198 c with a new Navionics + chip, so that's an older unit running the latest chip like yours is. Try redoing the update. Mine wouldn't load after I first updated it either, but it loaded fine after I repeated the process.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Thanks for the tips fellas! I'll try a few things in this thread and get Humminbird on the horn.