anybody fishing freshwater?

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dropaline

anybody fishing freshwater?

Post by dropaline »

anybody doing any catching?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: anybody fishing freshwater?

Post by DixieReb »

We're catching some nice creek bream up here in Ga. right now. They are bedding. :wink:
Yours in the South
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

thanks
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m going all out mullet fishing at Goose Pasture tomorrow which will include bream fishing for atleast a couple hours while I leave the chum alone until the mullet arrive. The Goose Pasture mullet rarely cooperate but I took my dogs down there 1 evening last week and the water looked like rapids there were so many, and they jumped so often that the I got pictures of 2 different ones jumping while taking pictures at random of the place from the bank. I then went mullet fishing at Nutall Rise a couple days later and only a few mullet showed up. Then today I went to Nutall Rise after somebody told me about the salt block that people apparently use to chum mullet, and I say apparently because I didn’t chum a single 1 with it lol! So tomorrow will be Goose Pasture with the chum that I know works, and it will just be a matter of whether or not they cooperate. And if they don’t I’ll load up on yummy Stumpknockers and Redbreasts.
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

good luck and fill a wash tub full!!!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I flat out give up on the Goose Pasture mullet lol! Caught plenty of bream as usual and saw plenty of mullet but they’re just not interested in anything besides flying around like sub missiles in the water and hand grenades through the air.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Went to Nutall Rise after Goose Pasture and for the first time ever didn’t see the first mullet. Now granted it’s not that hot yet which is when they really pour into the rivers. And the Aucilla is far from clear yet. But I can’t complain much since I just ate 9 of the yummiest bream ever out of Goose Pasture. Yummy yummy!
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

I like to throw a net from the bank and maybe even wade a little. Does anyone have recommendations on tidal creeks like Hickory Mound or the surrounding area?
Taylor/Dixie County would be most convenient.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Hickory Mound is loaded with mullet and other goodies basically at all times. It’s also loaded with rocks though, but I do know a guy who knows how to throw a small castnet out and bring it up with fish in it before it hits the rocks. This guy is 1 of the all time greats though.

As for the bream fishing I had a cool trip Tuesday down the upper Aucilla. I don’t think I’d ever done this before but I ended up with 16 fat Stumpknockers, 1 of which was Bluebream sized, and I didn’t catch a single Redbreast. As a matter of fact the only other fish I caught were tiny Stumpknockers and 2 tiny bass. And a Blackfish. I don’t think I’ve ever only caught 1 type of bream in a day on any river.
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

58051308501__54F11302-790E-4761-8B79-4F485C8CE38D.JPG

Hagen’s Cove 5-26-19
A lot of smaller mullet. Not many of the big black ones in there. Gin clear water made tougher work. Got 28.between me and BIL.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

For a number of reasons, done more freshwater fishing out of the pond this year than saltwater fishing.

Correction, I've PADDLED Bman around more than anything. He's had pretty good luck during his visits.
Bass.jpg
Bman had enough luck during his first trip that he brought his Dad the next go round and again had fair luck. Trying to do some pond management, we actually targeted smaller bass in an effort to dent the smaller fish population a bit.
3ManLimit.jpg
Within last week or so warmouth started congregating around the dock. Sure some pretty coloration on them. Was actually trying to snag bass and using 4" craw bait when I caught the warmouth.
Warmouth1.jpg
Warmouth2R.jpg
Warmouth3R.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Should add that if anyone likes speckled cats, just let me know and I'll gladly catch a mess when I can find time and arrange for pick-up (or even delivery if I have time).

Only caveat is I'll leave the cleaning to the recipient. SaltyGator took a mess last year and gifted them to a friend and pretty sure the report he got back was that they cooked up good. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I want to see the pix of bman paddling and you in the bow. Probably more documented shots of Big Foot and the Lock Ness Monster than that scenario, though. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

silverking wrote:I want to see the pix of bman paddling and you in the bow. Probably more documented shots of Big Foot and the Lock Ness Monster than that scenario, though. :lol:
He can try correcting me if I'm wrong (and about 100% sure I'm not!)... but in five years I've owned the place, and that's with a trip made together EVEN BEFORE BUYING IT, don't think he's ever touched a paddle other... OTHER THAN HANDING ONE TO ME. :smt010