St Marks boat accident

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FTReelty

Re: St Marks boat accident

Post by FTReelty »

Its just a really good video that brings to light the importance of PFD's and attaching the kill switch. It helped me decide to attach the kill switch.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

If you grew up fishing bass tournaments, you learned to leave your life jacket hooked to your kill switch and lay it in your driver's seat when you got up to fish. Not wearing the life jacket when the gas motor was running would quickly get you disqualified back then. It's a habit that's stuck with me from 15 to 55 and will continue.

I actually bought a 1978 Skeeter bass boat when I was 15 and had to get the Seniors in my high school to tow me to the lake. (Didn't yet have my own truck or a full time drivers license). :thumbup:
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Steve Stinson wrote:If you grew up fishing bass tournaments, you learned to leave your life jacket hooked to your kill switch and lay it in your driver's seat when you got up to fish. Not wearing the life jacket when the gas motor was running would quickly get you disqualified back then. It's a habit that's stuck with me from 15 to 55 and will continue.

I actually bought a 1978 Skeeter bass boat when I was 15 and had to get the Seniors in my high school to tow me to the lake. (Didn't yet have my own truck or a full time drivers license). :thumbup:
That sounds about like me, but mine was a jon boat with a 1980 Mercury 20hp... I guess I just had the typical "stuff like that always happens to someone else" attitude until that day at work a few years ago. Taught me my lesson, with a good outcome thankfully. :thumbup:
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

The young man who died lived about two miles from me. My wife's client who she sees 5 days a week told her he was the younger brother of her friend's best friend. I was fishing in the St. Marks the day before and put in at the Fort. My point: This was, as they say, kinda "close to home."

I always have my kill switch attached when underway. All of my fishing pants have a zip-tie attached through the button hole of my left cargo pocket to clip the kill switch to. I also always wear a self-inflating life vest, to which is attached a ResQLink PLB (Personal Locating Beacon) and a small waterproof flashlight. And around my neck is a lanyard with a whistle and small signal mirror attached. Just trying to reduce the odds. It's all habit by now so it's no burden.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Sickening because it was close to home, very young guy, not drunken stupidity and it could have happened to any of us.

These incidents are rare and tragic.

I'll admit right now that I rarely wear a kill switch unless the seas are rough and even more rarely wear a PFD.. I'll think of this kid every time I get behind the wheel from now on. Not specifically about myself but others around or on my boat.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Condolences to all who knew this young man.
I always wear the PFD with a whistle, but I have to admit I rarely used the kill switch.
I like the advice to figure out a routine, clip it to the pants or something, and make it a habit.
Let's all be safe out there.
flyrobinfly8

Post by flyrobinfly8 »

Reading through this forum...sadly the young man who passed away from this wreckless boating accident was my daughter’s boyfriend of 5 years. He was more like our son. It’s tragic that the proactiveness in preparing oneself before taking a boat out sometimes is never thought of. A hard lesson indeed but nevertheless this senseless act is not going to bring the young man back. I hope that all boaters be cognizant and vigilant before stepping into a boat to go o to the waters.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Our hearts are with you.
flyrobinfly8

Post by flyrobinfly8 »

Here’s the latest - almost a year! WCTV news broadcasted that the guy who caused the crash was arrested December 17th.