Need some Action in the Kayak forum

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

whughwhite

Need some Action in the Kayak forum

Post by whughwhite »

I often take my kayak out at Yates Creek.. haven't been in about 2 months but getting the itch to go, just need a little warm weather. So, I know there are others out there that kayak fish in this area, but I don't see much activity on this forum from fellow kayakers. I fish out of a Bonafide SS127. Lets hear from others about kayak success.
W. Hugh
tabb

Re: Need some Action in the Kayak forum

Post by tabb »

Got me a new yak for Christmas. Someone stole my sit on top gonna try a sit in this time. Been on one trip and that was St. Andrews bay. Paddled from Landmark condos over past St. Andrews marina. It got really foggy on the way back. Had to stay right near shoreline so we would not get lost.

I am rigging it now for some fishing when weather gets right and I have some time. Will post reports when I go.
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Been kayak fishing the area for more than 20 yrs. Not a whole lot of action on this forum though, mostly over on FCKA.
whughwhite

Post by whughwhite »

thanks for the hint on FCKA.. I wasn't aware of it.
W. Hugh
dirtroad

Post by dirtroad »

How is the Bonafide SS127? Have you had it in any chop yet? I've heard good things about them, so far.
whughwhite

Post by whughwhite »

cant say I have had it in HEAVY chop, but have had it in moderate chop and some wind. handles the chop fine and keeps me dry. The wind will push you around. I just added a rudder, but have not tried it yet with the rudder on. Hooked the rudder to the pedals so I can move it as needed... easy mod. So far, really pleased with it. I have had it a year and keep tweeking it a bit. I found that I needed a teather to go from sitting to standing easier.. then again, I'm now 65 and not as nimble as I once was!
W. Hugh
Yakout87

Post by Yakout87 »

Congrats on the Bonafide! I just purchased the RS117 myself and took it's first trip out at Yates Tuesday. Loved it! Caught 4 keeper trout and a 29in bullred right off that first oyster bar. Definitely need to add a rudder though. Did you do the Bonafide rudder or does another offbrand work too?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I'm fat.. Get off my lawn!

Can't claim to be old @ 34 but feel it.

I have a hard enough time catching fish and don't need to "go pro" by adding more difficulty.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I think I want an inflatable kayak!

I know the obvious drawbacks and everybody always throws oyster bars into it. I’ve never like...hit...an oyster bar. They’re not exactly hidden like rocks at Mandalay lol! So is that really an issue?

I want 1 for 2 reasons. I want to go down the upper St Mark River LEGALLY without driving down the pigtail hiking roads. That should be a piece a cake. As rough as the woods get around places like that, you’re pretty safe on the water lol! There are no oyster bars, rocks, and usually no large gators. Then there is the Pinhook. Would that be doable with the right preparation? Obviously there would be oyster bars out there but only pretty far down from the bridge right? That would be the plan...tote it to the bridge then go down and back. It would suck to bust it at the farthest away point.

I don’t know much about inflatable kayaks but they appear to be made similar to those motorized inflatables you see in South Fl, Key West etc. They’re more like a basketball than a float of any kind. And I don’t know if you could puncture a basketball without a gun lol!