Capsized

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Re: Capsized

Post by tailwaters »

Not saying this is the case here but it's one of the reason I'd like to see fish tags being implemented instead of a short season. People tend to push the envelop on fishing when they only have a limited amount of time to catch fish. If we were given an allotted amount of tags that can be used at any time though out the year then they might not venture out on questionable days.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

tailwaters wrote:Not saying this is the case here but it's one of the reason I'd like to see fish tags being implemented instead of a short season. People tend to push the envelop on fishing when they only have a limited amount of time to catch fish. If we were given an allotted amount of tags that can be used at any time though out the year then they might not venture out on questionable days.
Careful. This plays into the commercial argument that the allowable harvest should be divided up into the entire population and each “personal quota” could be sold. So open recreational fishing would cease. If you wanted to go fishing and keep a fish you would have to buy a permit first. Of course commercials “fishing for everyone” wouldn’t be subject to a personal limit.

Super slippery slope.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I believe the closest USCG stations for the Big Bend is Yankeetown to the east and Panama City to the west. Helo would need to come from Clearwater/St Pete area or maybe Pensacola? So if they happen not to be in the area where you are in distress its going to be awhile.

I carry a PLB for life threatening issues, SPOT X for mechanical/Seatow issues where my cell, dash mount VHF or VHF handheld backup is not getting it done for whatever reason along with the normal required and extra safety equipment. Since I run offshore in a 20' bay boat at times I also have a XM weather antenna and subscription to keep my eye on the weather when out of cell coverage.

I was 35 miles out of Steinhatchee last week and radar was showing storms popping up well inland and headed towards the coast so headed to the hill while I could do so safely, course it was hot and I had my snapper limit and a gag to boot so it was time to leave anyway :D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Seems like I did a bid a while back for some Coast Guard land along the East side of the Carabelle River right at the mouth. I didn't win the bid, but they own the land down there and I thought they had a sizeable boat docked at the same parcel.

- Steve Stinson
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Careful. This plays into the commercial argument that the allowable harvest should be divided up into the entire population and each “personal quota” could be sold. So open recreational fishing would cease. If you wanted to go fishing and keep a fish you would have to buy a permit first. Of course commercials “fishing for everyone” wouldn’t be subject to a personal limit.

Super slippery slope
I lived in OR for a few years and they had tags for steelhead and salmon and it worked great. With your license you received a certain number of tags. Immediately after catching a fish you wanted to keep you had to mark it and note it on your license. At the end of the year you were required to return your license and any unused tags. Think I remembered they had a penalty if you didn't. It worked great and gave a more accurate count of the fish taken. Oh and the tags are not transferable as they are tied to your license. They do a similar thing for hunting in some states. The tags are not for all species either, just ones that require more conservation. Having a short season pushes people to venture off shore in unsafe conditions.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Steve Stinson wrote:Seems like I did a bid a while back for some Coast Guard land along the East side of the Carabelle River right at the mouth. I didn't win the bid, but they own the land down there and I thought they had a sizeable boat docked at the same parcel.

- Steve Stinson
There is a big mother ship there and they run RIBs out of it. Takes a lot to move that big boat.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

tailwaters wrote:

Super slippery slope
I lived in OR for a few years and they had tags for steelhead and salmon and it worked great. With your license you received a certain number of tags. Immediately after catching a fish you wanted to keep you had to mark it and note it on your license. At the end of the year you were required to return your license and any unused tags. Think I remembered they had a penalty if you didn't. It worked great and gave a more accurate count of the fish taken. Oh and the tags are not transferable as they are tied to your license. They do a similar thing for hunting in some states. The tags are not for all species either, just ones that require more conservation. Having a short season pushes people to venture off shore in unsafe conditions.
I’m talking about ITQs and you are talking about a simple tag system. Lots different. To understand the ITQ peril for sport fishing suggest you google it. Silver King might be able to write a book on it.
bbb

Post by bbb »

This was added to the original story in the last couple days.

“Coast Guard Lt. Junior Grade Juston Lee said a boat was being dispatched and an aircraft readied at the USCG station in Panama City at the time of the distress call but Putnam's boat was much closer than the three-hour transit time. “
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I tend to get the feeling we better have our own a-sses covered in this area.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!