Proven Insect Repellent

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Proven Insect Repellent

Post by silverking »

Florida’s Forgotten Coast features some of the most pristine marine habitat in the state. Thousands of acres of protected federal land, undeveloped shoreline, tidal creeks and lush sea grasses are ideal for shrimp, crabs and juvenile fish to grow. That abundant nursery is also why the variety of saltwater game fish are so plentiful.

Yet that bounty comes with a price. The salt marsh which forms the basis for the estuary also cultivates countless species of insects. Mosquitos, ticks, black and yellow flies and no-see-ums or sand gnats top the list of annoying pests that invariably bite and chew on anglers fishing the inshore waters. The bugs can be annoying at best and downright dangerous with the threat of health risks. That’s why repellents are such an important aspect of outdoor gear.

The majority of available repellents are based on high concentrations of DEET, a long-used chemical ingredient that causes toxic reactions in many users. Alternative products based on natural extracts like eucalyptus oil, citronella and others are only partially effective. This situation was the impetus for the development of Proven® Repellent, a non-toxic product line that uses a 20 percent concentration of Saltidin (Picaridin). That active ingredient is recommended by the EPA, World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control as an effective repellent against mosquito-borne illnesses.

Although it’s a manufactured ingredient produced in the US, saltidin is modeled after piperidine, a colorless organic compound found in the black pepper plant. Saltidin adapts well in various applications and is compatible with skin, textiles, gear and plastic materials. Applications last up to 12 hours in sprays or 14 hours in lotions, so it doesn’t have to be constantly re-applied. Proven® is gear-safe and will not melt or damage plastics like DEET can.

Like many others, I cannot use repellents containing DEET due to adverse reactions. I’ve also tried several natural alternatives in the past with limited success. Some only work for short periods while others still left me slapping at yellow flies or snorting no-see-ums on the water or at the marina afterwards. So when I was offered a sample of Proven® to try, I wondered if it would be more of the same. It wasn’t.

The ultimate test came while competing in the RedTrout Shootout, a regional contest held every spring along the Forgotten Coast. I launched before dawn and raced to a favorite spot back in the marsh, but not before liberally spraying Proven around my exposed head, on my hands and over my clothing. I was using the scent-free formula, which doesn’t leave any sticky residue.

Once the sun came up, the bugs came out in force. There were more than a dozen normally vicious yellow flies on the bow and deck, yet none landed on me and I wasn’t bitten once. The same thing occurred with no-see-ums back at the wash rack. They were buzzing around, but avoided contact with my sprayed skin. Subsequent trips have re-confirmed the product’s overall effectiveness on gnats, flies and mosquitos.

Available in odorless or gently scented formulas, Proven® insect repellent sprays and lotions are sold at select stores. They can also be purchased online in a range of sizes at http://www.ProvenRepellent.com for $7.95 to $12.95.

If you’re susceptible to the adverse effects of DEET or prefer a non-toxic product to ward off bugs, give Proven® a try. The gear box in my skiff will definitely have a bottle of it from now on.
hJySZsZ_.jpeg
rjzWBdea.jpeg
rjzWBdea.jpeg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Proven Insect Repellent

Post by Salty Gator »

I’d drink the stuff it repels no see ums and I’d take it in enema form if it repels yellow flies. :lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Those types of applications aren't necessary. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The product is effective as long as its at a 20% concentration of active ingredient, there's several formulations including the proven brand. The non toxic claim however is way off, picaradin is pretty toxic to fish so you should make sure to keep treated skin out of the live well.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:The product is effective as long as its at a 20% concentration of active ingredient, there's several formulations including the proven brand. The non toxic claim however is way off, picaradin is pretty toxic to fish so you should make sure to keep treated skin out of the live well.
That's the big piece here. "Non-Toxic" is quantified in a manner of general human use. Not a "not harmful to environment."

Like Sunsect, it works GREAT (thanks, DEET!), but studies are coming out now that some of the ingredients are harmful to reefs in very concentrated quantities...

If I come into some of the "Proven!" branded product I'll give it a shot, otherwise I will stick to my proven product, Sunsect. I'm just glad I can play well with DEET

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:The product is effective as long as its at a 20% concentration of active ingredient, there's several formulations including the proven brand. The non toxic claim however is way off, picaradin is pretty toxic to fish so you should make sure to keep treated skin out of the live well.
That's the big piece here. "Non-Toxic" is quantified in a manner of general human use. Not a "not harmful to environment."

Like Sunsect, it works GREAT (thanks, DEET!), but studies are coming out now that some of the ingredients are harmful to reefs in very concentrated quantities...

If I come into some of the "Proven!" branded product I'll give it a shot, otherwise I will stick to my proven product, Sunsect. I'm just glad I can play well with DEET

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It works great on skeeters, but no see ums and yellow flies laugh at sunsect, DEET seems to have no effect on them at all in my experience, and I’ve tried as strong as I could find. We will see about the proven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

New FDA study rates combo sunscreen and repellents as ineffective or not enough data to make an accurate assessment.

Dig around enough and you can found ammo supporting any position. All I know is based on my experience, the Proven brand did the job when other naturals fell short. And I don't use bait, so no worries about polluting the live well. :wink:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ll also add skinsect is not on Dr Kennedy’s list of approved sunscreen :wink:
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Salty Gator wrote:I’ll also add skinsect is not on Dr Kennedy’s list of approved sunscreen :wink:
Putting words in her mouth (which is always a bit of a dangerous thing for me! :wink: ), I'll just say it's not that she's against its use as much as it utilizes chemical blocks in the sunscreen portion versus mineral blocks. There are a number of reasons she prefers minerals with a key being that a higher percentage of patients have allergic reactions to chemical blocks.

Linked post speaks a bit more to a few other reasons she prefers inert mineral blocks for anyone curious... don't think you actually have to be on facebook to read / login isn't required.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/pamela-s- ... 617598828/

Should stress again she's not against chemical use for those who tolerate it without reactions, as she makes clear in the article. :thumbup: :beer:
“Due to the wide variety of ingredients used in sunscreens, some can be less effective in blocking not only UVB (ultraviolet shortwave) rays but also UVA (ultraviolet long-wave) rays,” Kennedy says. “However, I appreciate that I have angling patients who prefer chemical sprays and gels to liquid mineral blocks, and as long they’re absent irritation, I don’t discourage them from using their preferred sunscreen.”
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

And said another way with fewer words, for anyone who visits our office her "approved" list wasn't created to diss any brands as much as speak to those she and our entire staff have used themselves and really like. The list was put up in our rooms to proactively answer the question that comes up over and over again during visits. WAYYYYY more sunscreens out there than we could ever actually purchase / try / test, so again it's not a slam on any not on the list. :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I should have mentioned I have a tube of sunsect in my tackle box and my boat as we speak. I like it as an all in one you can carry ( usually as a backup for me). It really is nice not to have to carry a bottle of liquid bug spray that can spill in your tackle box or boat. Very solid product. Im not sure it repels no see ums, but their saliva can’t burn you they the oily film, which is nice . But I’d love to find something that actually repels those devils.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Interesting about Proven. I may give it a try. Question though. is it an "oily" spray? I tried a spray this weekend that was VERY effective at repelling noseeums but it was incredibly oily and I felt gross just putting it on. It was worth it to keep from being eaten up but wow was I greasy feeling. It worked on mosquitoes as well. I am not sure how well it would work on yellow flies.

I have another spray that I really like that is very effective on gnats and noseeums, but it washes off very easily when I sweat so it takes many multiple applications. How well does Proven hold up? Does it take a whole lot of repetitive applications during the day?

I don't have issues with Deet but I do like not having to use Deet if I don't have to. And being a mosquito and noseeum magnet, I need something good.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

It doesn't feel greasy to me. I like the no-fragrance aspect, too. Haven't tried the scented formula so can't comment on it.

Have only needed to apply it one time and it was still repelling bugs when the breeze picked up and I started running. I've been using it when do yard work as well and it's getting the job done.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Thanks for the info on Proven. I’ve ordered the orderless spray and lotion to give it a try.
The Back Porch
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:thumbup:

Hope all is well with you and the family, Ken.