Southern Customs Latest Builds

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Southern Customs Latest Builds

Post by dombern34 »

it's been a while since I shared a few pictures but here are some recent builds I've done. I try to remember to take pictures of every build I do but sometimes I get side tracked and forget. new components hit the market weekly it seems so I try and build with the newest stuff that the customer allows. Any color scheme can be done and I haven't had a request that wasn't possible yet! it's endless when it comes to Grips, Reel seats, and guides. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
IMG_0563.jpg
A1B314AF-.jpg
9AC51445-.jpg
15D9E250-.jpg
1C0B94DB-.jpg
00A6CC75-.jpg
949BA7BE-.jpg
8438068A-.jpg
A1EBE3C2-.jpg
F3DB28D5-.jpg
9EAD53A0-.jpg
B1896A59-.jpg
45B852B3-.jpg
CE536E44-.jpg
EC32EA1D-.jpg
67A721A7-.jpg
3E51451A-.jpg
BA217AAD-.jpg
8429A8A5-.jpg
CalGarretson

Re: Southern Customs Latest Builds

Post by CalGarretson »

Very beautiful work.

I was looking around the other day and came across a rod builder, Duce Rods ( https://ducerods.com ). They brag about how they spiral the guides on their casting rods around the blank and how it improves distance and feel. I am curious, as you would know better than I, do you think this is credible or just a way to differentiate a company to sell to tackle junkies? Have you ever tried building one like that?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Nice Rods! I'm a Bull Bay Rods guy (obviously), and have the WINN GRIPS on my cobia/tarpon rod. Absolute game-changer. I've cast a few from either Rainman (Jeff) or BigPhishie (George) and they were great rods. Cannot go wrong going with SCR!

If any of you are getting a rod built by Dom, ask for the winn grips! Seriously great stuff
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

What kind of grips are on the first rod? I hope to be contacting you soon to do a rod for me Dom, I either need to sell a couple of rods or need the employment situation to improve my localness.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:What kind of grips are on the first rod?.
Winn Gripp, Box Pattern, in Natural color.

I have the same grips in black. DO IT.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

CalGarretson wrote:Very beautiful work.

I was looking around the other day and came across a rod builder, Duce Rods ( https://ducerods.com ). They brag about how they spiral the guides on their casting rods around the blank and how it improves distance and feel. I am curious, as you would know better than I, do you think this is credible or just a way to differentiate a company to sell to tackle junkies? Have you ever tried building one like that?
thank you sir! and absolutely! I offer this concept to every customer that comes to me wanting a casting rod. this concept offers so many Pro's with Zero Con's. In my opinion every casting rod ever made should have this concept. it's certainly not a marking gimmick. what this concept does is it keeps your reel from wanting to spin to the underside of the rod upon loading it up on a hook set. this concept was mainly used on offshore jigging rods using the much bigger conventional reels. when you have a normal conventional rod/reel setup and you put it under a load, the line is going to naturally pull the rod to the left or right. this creates torque on your rod and wrist. by slowing spiraling the guides this forces this line to the 180 degree mark of the rod's axis giving you the same effect as a spinning rod. does that make sense? you get way more control of the rod and performance out of it. the Spiral Concept also keeps the line off the blank at all times no matter the load. like I said, there are so many Pro's and zero Con's.

in the last picture, I know it's hard to see but the hunter green, neon green and red rods all have spiral wrapped guides :D
FishWithChris wrote:Nice Rods! I'm a Bull Bay Rods guy (obviously), and have the WINN GRIPS on my cobia/tarpon rod. Absolute game-changer. I've cast a few from either Rainman (Jeff) or BigPhishie (George) and they were great rods. Cannot go wrong going with SCR! If any of you are getting a rod built by Dom, ask for the winn grips! Seriously great stuff
thank you sir! BBR are fine rods as well and I don't think you can go wrong with either one! Winn Grips are very popular as they provide a great deal of grip and comfort. these grips are extremely low maintenance and extremely light. they also come in a verity of colors!

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:What kind of grips are on the first rod? I hope to be contacting you soon to do a rod for me Dom, I either need to sell a couple of rods or need the employment situation to improve my localness.
that is Winn Grips in the "natural" color. they give the right touch this customer was looking for on this build! I look forward to hopefully earning your business in the near future! thanks!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, those looks great
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Those are beautiful Dom. :smt007
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Salty Gator wrote:Man, those looks great
Thank you sir, Got everything for yours on order!
rockyg wrote:Those are beautiful Dom. :smt007
I appreciate it!